Stock 89 SC 5sp. - what I pulled out of her...

SilverCoupe

I ran my 89 SC 5-speed today at Bandimere Speedway in Denver, Colorado. (Elevation - about 1 mile above sea level or 5300 ft.) Now stock SCs should run about a 15.7 at sea level, correct? If so, then my 16.4 @ 85.91mph isn't bad at all, especially considering I also accomplished a 2.51 60ft. time on 225 all-season crap "Delta Steel Radials". Is there anyone else here that has run their SC at high elevations so maybe I could get an idea of where I should be? Thanks.:cool:

Big Cat Davo

I just ran a new best yesterday with a 15.513 @ 88.31 MPH. But was at 3500 ft. My first runs with the 90 when it was near stock resulted in a few 16.6's and then a 16.3 by the end of the night . . . I would say the car it right where it otta be . . . keep it up. From there I went to a string 15.9's last year and then 15.7and now 15.5 this year . . . I think there is still a lot left in the cat . . . and more bolt on's are on their way.:D

Dave

Last edited:
16.4? Umm.. I went 15.3@89mph stock w/ an AOD. Your 2.5 60 ft. is terrible. If you had good tires and could launch it, you'd be in the 15's. Elevation doesn't really affect the SC as much as you guys think. Look at Todd and Michelle's SC, it went like 13.3 in Colorado and like 13.1 in St. Louis. It was then I realized that elevation will affect all cars but forced induction helps you out much more. So I think its just an excuse. The 60 ft. time was your problem.

Woah Scott

Who wizzed in your cornflakes Scotty. Elevation does indeed affect our cars, like any other car. Ask Todd what his SC ran when it was stock. I bet ya it was a lot slower than your 15.3. I have since brought the Cat down to a 15.275 @92.41 mph. A respectable time for my altitude.

Dave

Agreed. Denver is over 5500ft where as Todd ran his car at about 3500-3800ft. It takes a lot to get the 60ft down. With some better tires and some practice you might get the 60 ft down to 2.2-2.3 at that elevation.

XR7 Dave

XR7 Dave is right on . . . I have run a best 60' of 2.23 in Calgary, 3500 foot elevation . . . my best 60' in Medicine Hat, where I live, is a 2.35. The altitude in the Hat is only 2300 feet, but the track prep is better in Calgary and it shows.

Dave

Got my 60' down a bit more last week. Track temp was 76 degrees as opposed to 78 degrees on my previous 16.40 run.

This run I pulled a 2.42 second 60' and ran a 16.28 @ 87.49mph.

As for altitude effecting cars, I can vouch for this. At Bandimere, LS1 Trans Ams and Camaros run high 14s all day. Stock '03 Cobras run around 13.8s. My friend's brother's 03 Cobra with a chip, intake, exhaust, and pulley only managed a 13.0 but had a lot of wheelspin.

yeah the 15.3 was on a hot summer day at norwalk raceway park in norwalk ohio..... prolly one of the best drag strips on earth...

just dont walk across is with flip flops on after a bunch of pro cars burned the stickers off their new slicks.....

yeah youll either fall on yur butt or lose a shoe...gotta love it

Back