tremec 3550 install

what year and trans do you have? if you have an aod/4R70W you might as well just go with a lentech prepped trans. i have never seen anyone install a TR3550 in their sc; however i'm assuming it would be quite the task.

From what I've heard, Tremec does not make a bellhousing that fits the 3.8, but soon they're supposed be producing one.

3.8 bolt pattern

Doesn't the 3.8 have the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing as all the small block fords? If so, the only issue is getting the right flywheel,starter combo and figuring out a clutch cable.

Also the Mustang trans is longer than ours and the shifter is going to be in a different position and the driveshaft will need to be the correct length.

Maybe it would be prudent to contact Tremec and see if a kit could be developed. Many people here seem to dislike those Mazda trannies.

EDIT!

My bad, I am sorry, the bellhousing is the same, or will bolt up correctly. But, to convert over to a Tremec, you might have to convert to a 5.0 flywheel because the clutch is different.

Last edited:
Also the Mustang trans is longer than ours
Actually it is much shorter. That is where the issue comes in. The tranny will bolt right up, but the shifter comes out in the dash.

Isn't there some sort of extender that will help out in this case? I think I read about it in the T-56 swap threads.

tremec conversion

Shorter huh? That's harder to deal with. I once put a T-5 in a 78 Mustang II and it was shorter too. I would punch my radio when shifing into 3rd.

Are the t56 trans' also shorter? Are they the same length in the Mustang as they are in the Viper, Corvette, Camaro, etc?

Measurements I have comparing the LS1 T56 to the M5R2.

M5R2:
A = 31"
C = 25.75"
D = 34.5"

2000 GM, T56
A = 30"
C = 27.5"
D = 32"

t56.jpg

Tremec 3550, measurements on graphic.

tremec-tech.jpg

dimension "A" looks close enough if you really wanted to fabricate some parts:D, shouldnt be that bad. I changed a clutch in a 95 Camaro the other day (5.7L), is that the same unit? If so that thing doesnt look like it can take as much abuse as the Mazda unit, but it shifted really damn nice:D

Put a comma in there.

No, Camaros have T-56s. That is what I meant. I thought he was asking if they had Tremecs. Not to mention V8 powered Pontiacs had them too, ie Trans Am and Firebird Formula and the Firehawk

tranny

i was talking about tremec 3550 TKO...

byt- my 3rd rebuid grinds in 4th from the get go.. i wonder if thats because of the f150 brass synco's i requested? geez gotta pull the thing again.

Not sure if this is relevant to the transmissions you are discussing, but MN12Performance now makes a kit to alleviate the problem of the shifter handle for T5 and T45 transmissions..

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12parts/shifterbox.html

As for those F150 synchros, I have heard from many sources who've experienced them that they are very susceptible to grinding. I think thats what you are experiencing, especially if its occuring in 4th gear.

Last edited:
Back