5-speed tranny fluid. What kind???

derekhay316

Just did a tranny drop. Just wondering what kind of tranny fluid you guys recommend? Also how much dot 3 fluid does the hydraulic reservoir take to refill? Thanks a lot.

Mercon Synthetic Automatic transmission fluid for the trany.
If you're talking about the brake res, there are 2 arrows pointing at each other on the side, fill it to where they meet, do not over fill because it will drip out on to the exhaust and start a fire.
Good luck

I just wanted to know how much fluid it takes to fill up so I know what size container I should buy. You sure I should be using automatic fluid for a 5-speed?

Derek - you just missed another string of messages about this subject. Best recommendation is Redline Synthetic ATF called "D4" + friction modifier. Although it's $8 qt. you don't have to change the manual trans fluid very offen. And yes ATF is used in these trans. Capacity is 3.15 qts, so you can use 3 qts of ATF and 4 ozs of Redline's synthetic friction modifier. It's a little hard to fill; I use a typical trans. filler/funnel from within the engine compartment with a long piece of hose down to the trans fill plug. These trans also come with a bottom drain plug which is nice.

Back