tranny coolers

smokymance

how hard is it to install a aftermarket tranny cooler...just wondering...i was looking at the SuperCooler 24,000 GVW...from B&M...is this easy to install or do i have to modify it...thanks

Actually pretty easy. Just put one in my 90. In mine I bypassed the radiator all together and went with a big aftermarket cooler. Question is placement. I put mine in front, centered between the radiator and intercooler.

Some cars have hard lines all the way from the tranny to the radiator but we have a flexible hose in the run. This makes it easier. You're supposed to use barbed fittings due to the pressure and we already got em!

I've always run the external cooler after the radiator cooler. Just figure out which line is output from the radiator cooler then run that to the external cooler, external cooler output to the return line to the tranny.

I did find out the radiator cooler works as a heater as well when it's cold. The fluid running through the radiator heats the fluid. My car is only on the road during the summer so cooling is the only thing I'm looking for.

just done

here's what i did.

i went to home depot got one nickle plated flat pieces of steel 1/2 wide by 36in. long, actually need just slightly less than that.

take front bumper cover off and the hood latch piece 6bolts i think. i mounted (the same cooler you're talking about) with the inlet/out lets facing toward the passenger side of the car. in/out let are one above the other. understand how its mounted???

i took the metal piece i bought, cut in two to proper length and put it in front of the radiator. if you look- at the bottom of the radiator there is a sheet metal lip, that is folded up, it helps if you make it more verticle. look at near the top of the radiator and you will see an edge that hangs down from the frame piece. easier to see with hood latch removerd.
measure like a thousand times, drill four holes on the car, four on the metal pieces and mount.
for hoses just figure out how you are going to attach them to the hard lines, then, i ran them through a little passage near the bottom (passenger side) corner of the radiator. understand? look at the power steering cooler. the little bolt that is closest to the front of the car, take that out and shorten it, the hoses should be right behind it. also put some of that plastic wire protector stuff on the hoses. get some -AN to tube adapters and there you go.

i'm at school right now, when i get home i'll see if i can figure out how to post some pictures.

changes i've noticed: well i can run up third gear way higher than before, before the shift light comes on. also though, i've noticed that my engine temp runs a little higher, my fan comes on slightly more often. but all in all its great. i'll try to get some pics up, probably after 4pm today.

jim

here we go

ok i'm gonna try and attach images, first time, so if i'm an idiot and can't get it to work some one let me email them for posting ok

oh yeah BTW it really helps if you take off the headlights and that whole braket thing.

jim

ps sorry for low quality pics

Attachments

• 1new.jpg
    1new.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 118
Back