Headlights output

Digitalchaos

I have a question reguarding the beam pattern of the headlights on my SC. When my lowbeams are on, most of the output is very restricted and confined to a small narrow line with a small blotch at the end. I have tried aiming the lights further apart, up, and down with no signficant benefit. When I finally obtain a usefully wide beam , there is a gap of lesser brightness in the center, between the beam of the two lights. I did not have this problem on another Thunderbird with the same headlamp design.

My lenses are yellowed but polished haze free. Also, the drivers side parking lense is bent so the bottom corner meets & slightly pushes the bottom of the drivers side headlamp. What might need replacing that would cuase this? I can not find any bent mounts, and I removed the headlight to look.

I should add the high beams produce adequate light output..

If anyone else has had similar trouble, or otherwise knows a solution, your help is appreciated.

Never have liked factory lights

I have never liked the factory lights on any car I have owned. I have my low beams aimed with a relatively narrow beam. Basically, I use the low beam to let other cars see me. If I feel I can't see as well as needed, I use the high beams and I have an aftermarket set of 55W driving lights that come on with the high beam (see pics under my name in the 1994 members section).

I like the way it functions and looks. I've gotten some detrimental comments about the look but hey, it's my car.

If you choose to do this, be sure you wire the aftermarket lights appropriately so that they only come on with the high beams. I'm not sure how it is where you are, but here in VA, you can only have 4 lamps burning at any one time and lamps that run with the high beam MUST be driving lamps (SAE code Y on the lens) not fog lamps.

Well, that's my $0.02.

Ok Thanks. I also wanted to mention my driver's side foglight is up higher than my passenger side. This means that if its aimed so the beams are in similar locations, most of the drivers side reflects into the bumper, missing the hole. What is it attached to that could cause this?

What exactly supports the foglights? I know they are mounted to brackets, but what supports these? I would like to determine why my drivers side is higher than the passenger side.. & maybe in the process determine why my headlights are as they are.

Thanks

Back