What is the widest tire I can fit on factory wheel

phils89sc

I was thinking about an upgrade in the grip department. Factory tire size seems to be, well, baloonish!! I was thinking of 245/55/16's?

Any thoughts? Also, when I say wide, I don't want the tires bulging off the side of the wheels!!

Thanks

Philip Stocker

255 is the widest you can go on a stock rim and this depends on who made the tire. Each companies 255 might be of different width, so a Nitto 255/X-16 might fit like a glove while some Firestones 255/X-16 bulge out. 245/55-16 Nitto NT450 are what I have now and I love them. Only problem is it gives it more of that 4x4 look at certain angles.

Who's writing these Authoritative Books?

Do you believe ANYTHING, if it's written in a book? Discount Tire & TireRack will tell you that their "BOOK" says that a 255mm tire won't physically fit on an SC. Must be true if the "BOOK" says so right? Must be everybody is lying about having 255's on their car!

68COUGAR

I've had BFG Comp 255-50-ZR16" rubber on my 95 SC s' for at least four years now and I haven't had problem one. Yes, the sidewalls do bulge some but I love the look.

Last%20Pic.jpg

I have to agree

I have the BFG 255-50-ZR16's also and they handle awsome..they are a bit soft but grip like mad :D ..they're also surprisingly inexpensive...I paid about $100.00 ea. plus mounting and bal etc. etc.
Rick in FL:cool:

BFG ZR's ARE sticky.

I've got them (255/45/17) on 17X9 Cobra R's on my SilverBird and plain V Comp TA's (245/50/16) on stock wheels on the 35th.

Both work well for the cars they're on. ;)

Lee

68 Cougar, never said they wouldn't fit, said the tires can cup in the center from being too wide. Go put on a set of 245-50-16 Cooper Cobra GTZ's and watch them cup and burn the center tread off in 3 months. Then go get,lets say, 245-50-16 Kuhmos and they are much smaller. Just depends on the tire maker.

Mine don't cup

This is my second set of BFG 255-50-ZR16's and my tires have never "cupped"...They do wear quickly because they are a very soft tire....but they handle great:D

Rick in FL:cool:

P.S. If you are having cupping problems especially on the rear you may wanna check the bushings on the rear upper/outter control arms....if they are worn this can cause cupping too...to replace them Ford wants to sell you the whole knuckle assembly at about $500.00 ea. But you can order the bushings alone in after market...Ford will give you the ole "Factory Backorder" line:eek:

Back