Supercharger noise.

Dustin Yenny

I'm fairly certain my supercharger is making the common bearing noise. It only does it at idle and I swear its random. When I bought the car back in February I did not hear the noise and then I noticed it on a cold night in March. Since then its been appearant. The car sat for a year before I got it and there was some old dirty oil on the snout. I'm probably going to be trading the car in here this next week on a new car and I thought it would be nice if I could fix the noise temporarily by adding some fluid. I was just seeing what you guys thought before I made a trip to the dealership. I was thinking the fluid leaked out when it sat and now that I've been running the wheels off of it the S/C started to make noise.

Since you're trading it in next week, don't bother, let the new owner deal with it. Chances are they won't even notice the noise until they've driven it a while.

At least add oil to it. That's not right to let one of our own die a slow death like that, at least let its last years as a sacred MN12 be happy ones.:(

The thing is that once it start to make noise, its a little late and most likely can't be reversed by just adding more fluid. Its the bearings, and with the time you have, I dobt if you can get the parts and do any kind of repair that will reduce the noise. My SC was very noisy for years and whenever I complained to the Ford service dept. they said some were just loader than others, which must be their standard answer, since the shop manual says they're not servicable, they never added oil and most dealers don't even stock it. You can tell him it needs servicing but a snout rebuild is the only thing that will cure the noise. Good luck

With the flux of sc'ed engines since the 99 Lighning, I think the stock should start to go up, and prices go down (?).

Back