What the hell happened......

I was cruising down the highway and my cruise control just stopped working and has never worked again. I have a '91SC Auto and my brother is parting out a 5sp '89. Does he have a sensor or something that I need????? If so, where is it???:confused:
DB91

Check the underdash fuse and underhood fuse and vacuum line. Your owners manual will tell you which one, and the vacuum line runs from the throttle body linkage to the servo.

talon660 said:
Check the underdash fuse and underhood fuse and vacuum line. Your owners manual will tell you which one, and the vacuum line runs from the throttle body linkage to the servo.
Thanks Man! I will print out this information!
DB91

If it's like mine..

My 92 5-speed cruise control has just been diagnosed by my mechanic. Seems that the Servo controller, which (in mine) is located in the drivers side inner fender twords the firewall (has a long cable that goes to the throttle linkage on top the motor, and several vacume hoses attached also), failed. Then in trying to engage it while it wasn't working the switch (in the steering wheel) went bad also. Switch is better than $100 from Ford and has been discontinued, and the Servo (NOT the amplifier) is a "high failure part" and is on national backorder from the supplier. You can find used servos here in the classifieds (see my plea for help in the parts wanted section)
Hope this helps
:)

Re: If it's like mine..

dvruger said:
My 92 5-speed cruise control has just been diagnosed by my mechanic. Seems that the Servo controller, which (in mine) is located in the drivers side inner fender twords the firewall (has a long cable that goes to the throttle linkage on top the motor, and several vacume hoses attached also), failed. Then in trying to engage it while it wasn't working the switch (in the steering wheel) went bad also. Switch is better than $100 from Ford and has been discontinued, and the Servo (NOT the amplifier) is a "high failure part" and is on national backorder from the supplier. You can find used servos here in the classifieds (see my plea for help in the parts wanted section)
Hope this helps
:)
Thanks much for the info!:cool:
DB91

Yeah, if you find that you need a new servo, let me know. I was going to sell one to dvruger, but his mechanic had already bought one for him. I have quite a few in stock.

-Rod

Sorry, meant to include your name in the post, but at 1am the brain is moving in slow motion as well as the spelling skills.:confused:

racecougar said:
Yeah, if you find that you need a new servo, let me know. I was going to sell one to dvruger, but his mechanic had already bought one for him. I have quite a few in stock.

-Rod
Thanks Rod, but we are parting out an '89. I just need more specific details on what the part looks like and how to find it on the '89.
Thanks, and any additional info will be greatly appreciated.
DB91:cool:

It's a black ball with a few lines running to it. It's located in the front of the driverside fender (you have to remove the inner fender to get to it). It should have a black rubber dust cover over it.

-Rod

It's a lot easier to work with if you remove the fender. It's not too hard.

It's the black thing with hoses going to it in front of the wheel in this picture. It's covered by a rubber cover.

rightfrontnofender.jpg

Mike8675309 said:
It's a lot easier to work with if you remove the fender. It's not too hard.

It's the black thing with hoses going to it in front of the wheel in this picture. It's covered by a rubber cover.

rightfrontnofender.jpg
EXCELLENTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need clutch master cylinder reservoir

dirtybird91 said:
I was cruising down the highway and my cruise control just stopped working and has never worked again. I have a '91SC Auto and my brother is parting out a 5sp '89. Does he have a sensor or something that I need????? If so, where is it???:confused:
DB91

I'm new at this, so accuse me. If your brother is still partng out the '89 5sp, could you and see if he still has the clutch master cylinder reservoir. I need one badly.

Thanks
Drtbird
dnaerc@yahoo.com

I would recommend that all wires be checked at their connection to the servo. It wasn't on my SC, but a similar car I had, the cruise control went. The stealership told me the servo was bad. Being really short on cash at the time (taking it to a dealer cost me enough), I chose to get a used one from a junk yard. While installing it, I checked all the connections for the wires being secured and made sure that they weren't loose, and low and behold, one of the wires popped out. I reconnected it and test drove it with my, according to the dealership broken part, and it worked. So, if you want to try and save some cash, check all wires at their connectors. It can't hurt. And from being in the fender, where all of everything on the road is splashed up, it wouldn't surprise me. Just my .02.

Did you happen to catch you foot under the brake peddle at any time?. I have found 98% of the time its the little vac switch has pushed back on the brake peddle leaving you cruse nonfuntional. Just make sure the button is pushed in when the brakes are not applied.

Back