Wierd MAF problem

Stelar SC

I installed a c&l MAF on my 94 sc today, the car is stock exept for a new exsaust and 10% pully, so i put it on and i tighten everything and i start the car, it starts but then 2 seconds later the rpm's goto up and down from 400-500 rpms for about 10 seconds, then it goes away like nothing happend. so i took it off and i noticed there was a yellow gluey substance (i guess thats what the mechanic used to install it on my old thunderbird, a 91 sc) (i took the MAF off of my old 92 sc, but when i put it on the 94 it made the car weak, and it just wasnt ackting right) im thinking its a vacume leak but idk, it realy wierd... oh yea, it only does the 400-500 thing on cold starts... and i replaced my stock MAF and it runs fine again...

please help :confused:

This sounds funny, but are you 100% sure you had the connector all the way on there? I didn't get mine on all the way and it worked loose after a while. It ran, but not well at all.

sampling tube

You install it on a 94SC?Well,94-95SC has 36# injector's and the 92 has 30#.You need a different sampling tube.

Stelar SC said:
I installed a c&l MAF on my 94 sc today, the car is stock exept for a new exsaust and 10% pully, so i put it on and i tighten everything and i start the car, it starts but then 2 seconds later the rpm's goto up and down from 400-500 rpms for about 10 seconds, then it goes away like nothing happend.
Try rotating the MAF sensor towards the left fender, sometimes just rotating it about 1" left pass horizional will do the trick.......an SC master mind told me that. It worked for me, give it a try.

Stelar SC said:
(i took the MAF off of my old 92 sc, but when i put it on the 94 it made the car weak, and it just wasnt ackting right) im thinking its a vacume leak but idk, it realy wierd... oh yea, it only does the 400-500 thing on cold starts... and i replaced my stock MAF and it runs fine again...
Agree witt Luvnit, wrong sampling tube 36lb injectors on the 94.

Calvin

Stelar SC said:
i took the MAF off of my old 92 sc, but when i put it on the 94 it made the car weak.......
I'm must be missing something. If you pulled the STOCK MAF from your 92, and then switched it to your 94 (which uses a different sampling tube ), then that would be your problem.

Unless you have an aftermarket MAF on the 92! That you never said, so assumed you pull the stocker off the 92....

Calvin

Okay, the C&L was on the '92, which was modified with 36 lb injectors, is what I'm guessing. Did you clean it? If you saw some sort of glue in there, maybe it's gotten on the sensor wires, or anything else could have. If it is setup for the right injectors, do a search for cleaning the MAF and give that a shot. Carefully.

alright ill try it, but i have an intake on the way so ill wait till that comes to install the MAF again, and i have 36 lbs injectors, so would i have to put those on my 94 for the MAF to work right?

If you have 36# injectors on the 92' then you need a new sample tube. The sample tube is the same as the 19# tube for all SC's with stock injectors.

Meaning that you can use the same MAF and sample tube on a 89-93 with 30# injectors or a 94-95 with 36# injectors.

You haven't listed which MAF you have 73mm, 76mm ?

Start from the begining.

Jeff

ok ill add in for information

its a 76mm C&L MAF with a 36# sampling tube, and it used ot be on my 91 sc with 36lbs injectors, but i took it off after i blew the head gaskets, and put it on my 94 sc, wich has 36 lbs injectors stock, but i put the maf on and i had this problem... the thing i dont understand it it only did it from a cold start, but give it 10 seconds and it goes away completely

Back