when to change to a higher flow fuel pump?

silversc90

I just gutted the rest of my resonator last weekend and it seems like i free'd up enough hp to push my fuel pump to the limit. The problems i am haveing are when i reach the 4200rpm plus zone my car just doesnt pull as hard as the 2200 to 4000rpm enough to where it doesnt hold you in the seat any more you can only tell in 3rd gear too. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's not the fuel pump. Gutting your resonator isn't going to make that much difference.

Thomas

Thats just the current thing I have done not the only thing. I guess i wasnt very clear on what i was saying I want to know how much hp you can make before you have to change to a high flow unit? I have not been to a dyno yet but according to a hp calculator to move my 4000 lb car 94 mph in the 1/4 it takes 250+ rwhp. I just think ive hit my stock units max.

250 rwhp is a little up there but from some of the dyno #s i seen on this site it doesnt look to off. What do you guys think?????

Last edited:
usually don't need that the high flow till you mod the fuel delivery system , TB, injectors etc. but read in another thread that you certainly don't have to wait to put the high flow unit on. you don't list any mods like that so i gotta think that on a stock car you would not create the need for increased fuel just by gutting your resonator . the SC is not known to be a top end car, it's power is in the torque and getting of the line .

Yeah this car kills in the 1/8 but the reason this thread is here is because my car feels like once i hit about 90 in 3rd it just doesnt have the umph it did before i gutted the resonator. Thats about 4200 rpm on the tach and I heard that if you have a fuel deprivation problem thats where it will happen at, but i agree with you on the part about modding the fuel delivery system.
Ill run this wednesday and see what numbers i come out with, hopefully a low 14. :D

Just an Idea have you changed your fuel filter at all? I know my was vary dirty and was starting to rust out. After I did that the car was running a lot better.

i have stock pump ported heads bigger tb and maf colder plugs
hiflow exhaust 180 thermostart runs awesome i hardly ever go over 4g though

With the stock throttle body, that 70mm Maf isn't helping as much as you think.

Your stock fuel pump is likely not contributing to your performance above 4100rpm. It should be able to handle your mods without a problem.

Have you replaced your fuel filter recently? Peak HP is hit around that RPM and will drop off after that. Peak Torque is long gone by 4200. I'd start with replacing the fuel filter if you haven't in a while. (ha, just noticed Jason already asked)

You won't need a higher flow fuel pump until you replace injectors to something bigger.

Last edited:
Back