Water pump problems...

BTbird

Can anyone tell me how to take off the power steering, alternator assembly so I can take my water pump out? Thanks.

BEST WAY TO DO IT IS TO GET A PULLEY REMOVER. TAKE THE PULLEY OFF OF THE POWER STEERING PUMP AND THEN YOU CAN GET TO THE BOLTS BEHIND THE PULLEY. THAT IS WHAT I HAD TO DO ON MY 92 SC. I RENTED A PULLER FROM AUTOZONE.

They make an aftermarket power steering unit puller. I bought mine a few years ago and I am not sure which autoparts store had it. It was on the shelf (not a special order). You are welcome to borrow it if you promise to return it. Email me if you want to borrow it.

bracket

1st ... try and get the hidden ..nut ,stud out ..I've yet had to remove the pulley to get it...small 15mm socket and a 3/8 rachet
slip socket over nut ... and slip rachet into socket ...won't go in to far 1/8 to 1/4 inch ... but is enough to get it loosened ...and if it breaks the stud loose as well ...you can use a 1/4 drive set with a 5mm or 4 mm socket on the end of the stud... and undo it that way ..lot more room with the 1/4"drive to turn ..if nut only comes.. it will be slow turning...
but lets you remove altenator... power steering pump... and bracket ...as one unit ....and no need for a puller...the other 2 bolts come out easy ....though some lazy people just cut the bracket to the water pump ...

That's the way I do it, too

I've never removed the PS pulley (I don't have one of those puulers, and never have been much for buying "single use" tools). I've always disconnected the PS lines from the pump and removed the pump and bracket as a unit. You do need to "plug" the fitting on the pump (quickly) to keep from dumping fluid all over the place, though. I do generally remove the alternator from the bracket, but I guess that's not necessary. If you remove the upper intercooler tube, and the mounting bolt for the coil-pack, it comes out easily.
One thing about the SC, the more you remove, the easier it is to fix what's broke....(the stuff on "top" never seems to need replacement for some reason). In the long run, you are much better off getting things out of your way than wrestling around trying to reach that last nut hidden under a bunch of accessories. It's actually quicker, too.

How many total bolts are there on the bracket? I could only find two of them. Thanks guys for all the help.
Bryce

Back