Firm Ride light on when braking

Jake

Does anyone know why my firm ride light comes on everytime I start to stop the car?

Firm Ride system

The ARC (Adjustable Ride Control) will come on in four conditions.

1. Speed-If the vehicle speed exceed 90-95 mph, it will switch to firm ride.

2. If the vehicle is steered quickly enough (sensor located under steering column), it will switch to firm ride

3. If the brakes are applied with enough force to raise the brake system pressure above a certain pressure (not sure of the pressure) it will switch to firm ride.

4. When the throttle position reaches a certain angle (determined by the TPS and the ARC computer), it will switch to firm ride.

The last one is of course if you hit the switch on your center console.

If you are hardly applying the brakes and the vehicle is switching to firm, it could be a malfunction in the pressure switch, or whatever/wherever activates the firm ride via the system pressure.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Yeah, the "Firm Ride" thing seems silly to me, because it either works on automatic, or always Firm Ride. There's no option to set it on "Cushy Ride all the Time" mode.

The automatic mode switches in to Firm Ride if you're braking or accelerating or turning...as mentioned above.

Scan you codes

Jake,

How hard are you braking? If you feel the light is coming on under "normal" or "routine" braking, you should see if there are any fault codes in the ABS module. On my 1994, the same code reader for the EEC can be used on the ABS module (about $25 at Walmart or Autoparts store of your choice).

Good luck!

Thanks for the info everyone! Looks like I'll pick up a code reader tomorrow, probably should have one anyway. Is the switch you're refering to the one that goes into the brake assembly or the proportioning valve? Because I just replaced the one in the proportioning valve. If you mean the other one can you give me a part #. Thanks Jake

Back