aluminum polishing methods

trwnum2

hey, im just getting done with a complete overhaul of my 1990 SC

rebuilt engine bored out 30 over

complete magnum powers induction kit, magnaport II, intake plenum, t/b, and supercharger top (Charles Warner is a really nice guy, can answer a lot of questions about anything with these cars as far as modding goes, definitely recommend his products also)

fuel pump upgrade, bigger injectors, new motor mounts, ported manifolds, new downtubes and high flow cats, and 76mm MAF

basically the whole gauntlet of bolt ons looking for about 285 at the rear wheels

now that I am putting everything back on Im getting interested in polishing the many aluminum parts on the car, so far I took the top level of paint off the intercooler and I am sanding it to a nice smooth finish then sparying some engine shine and sealant coating on it to keep it clean

I looked up some of the posts on this site for the ways people have been polishing just about every part on the car and wanted to start a new post and see what other people have done

please include some pictures and the way that you got it polished, im really looking for a faster way to do this as the tubes are going to take a whole lot of time to do. Once the motor is in and everything is bolted together I'll put some pictures up for everyone to see. Im hoping it comes out really nice

I got this post from the Corral Forums:

Your basic tools: Electric Drill ( Nothing Fancy)
80, 120, 180, 220, 320,400 grit Wet/Dry Sandpaper
(2) 6" Spiral Sewn Buffing Wheels
Tripoli Compound
White Rouge
These parts can be found at Home Depot, Sears, and some major Auto Chains

Optional Items Tapered Sanding Rolls 80-320 grit w/ mandrel
(1) 6" Ventilated Flap Buff Wheel
Assorted Mini Buffs w/ mandrel
Assorted Buffing Bobs
(1) Buff Rake

Safety Equipment: Safety Glasses or Face Shield, Disposable Dust Mask or Respirator, Gloves, Padded Clamps or Padded
Vice to hold the smaller parts with ( otherwise they will fly ) while Buffing or Polishing.

The Basic items you you can purchase from the stores mentioned above. I bought the Eastwood Aluminum Polishing Manifold Kit # 13149 ($49.99) which gives you everything you need to do your upper and lower manifold with and other aluminum pieces if you choose to .

POWDER COATING: (REMOVAL)

To polish the upper intake you first need to remove the powder coating , this can be done by 2 methods . First method is you could sand the powder coating off which will take for ever or the second method is you can use Air Plane Paint Stripper ( not regular paint stripper ) which only takes 20 min - 45 min depending on the manufacture, whatever you do follow the instructions on the can this stuff is toxic and will burn your skin. You can find the Air Plane Paint Stripper at most local automotive paint stores or at some of the larger automotive chain stores, Auto Zone, Kragens, Pep Boys Chiefs, etc.
I personally would not suggest using a wire wheel or sand blasting to remove the powder coating these methods only leave deeper scratches or pits that you'll have to sand out later.

SANDING: (80-400 grit)

Now that the powder coating has been removed you need to start the sanding process . 1st start with 80 grit sand paper to remove all the rough casting form the piece, the big flat areas are not a problem it's the smaller areas that are the problems this is why I suggested Tapered sanding rolls which will help speed up the process of sanding, but it can be done by hand sanding.
Now that you have the whole piece sanded with 80 grit you now need to use the 120 grit sand paper to remove the scratches that the 80 grit sanding left, next you need to use the 180 grit sand paper to remove the sanding marks left by the 120 grit sand paper . You'll need to repeat this process using the 220-400 grit sand paper. I never sanded any of the pieces I did with more than 320 grit. I have read where some people have even sanded with 600 &1000 grit, that's just to much sanding for me by the time you have sanded with 80, 120, 180, 220, 320 your tired of sanding, let the Tripoli Buffing Compound take the fine. sanding marks out.

BUFFING: (Tripoli Compound)

Tripoli Compound : is used for general cutting of all non-ferrous metals ( aluminum, brass, etc. ) Mild cutting action best used with either spiral sewn or ventilated flap buff wheel. This compound comes either in a stick or tube, reddish in color.

Buffing or Polishing can be done with a cheap electric drill ( $ 10- $40 ) or a Baldor Buffing motor ($ 200 - $500)
The basic principle of buffing is to remove any of the fine sanding marks left after sanding .
To buff you need to have the piece secured to the work area in some form ( padded clamped, bolted or padded vice ) or when you start to use the wheel on the item you will probably catch an edge or something and the item will hit the ground either braking it ( which happened to me ) or putting a big dent in the piece that you can't get out !
After you have the piece secured put a 6" spiral buffing wheel in your electric drill and with medium pressure run the wheel over the Tripoli compound, apply a small amount of the Tripoli to the wheel , with the Tripoli on the wheel apply slight to medium pressure to the piece your buffing. If you try to apply to much pressure to the piece the Tripoli will only clog up and leave black marks, and will not do the work it was intended for. Buff out a small area at a time using a left to right motion do not use a circular motion , apply compound as needed, smaller amounts of compound are easier to work with than one large amount , after you have the entire area buffed move on to another area using the same procedure, by this time you will start to see a nice shine come to the piece, your almost there.
I suggest for the smaller areas use smaller buffing wheels ( mini buffs) to get into those hard to reach places.

POLISHING: (White Rouge Compound)

White Rouge Compound : is primarily a coloring compound to produce a brilliant mirror like finish. For all metals. This is
final step before plating. Use loose section ,canton flannel or spiral sewn buffing wheel.

This is the final step to that mirror like finish your looking for.
Again make sure the item is secured to the work area, using another ( different) 6" spiral buffing wheel, do not use the same 6" spiral sewn buff that you used with the Tripoli as this buffing wheel is contaminated with the Tripoli and will not let the White Rouge work properly. Using the same procedure as buffing when applying the the White Rouge to the wheel ( slight to moderate pressure) again start in a small area and working into a larger area, applying compound as needed , use a small amount of compound at a time. Work from left to right or right to left just try to stay from any circular motions if possible.
Your piece is now finished to a mirror like finished something to be proud of after all the hours you've spent.

One final thing if at any point you see a deep scratch from sanding you may have missed while your buffing just go back and touch up that area with sand paper to remove the sanding mark.

All you really need is time and patience.

For those who are wondering how many hours it take to do the upper intake my best guess would be some where between 12- 16 hr. I never kept track of the time.

Another Link

Mike Donley

Just about have my 90 back on the road. I bought it wrecked and haven't had time to do much fun stuff other than this. Decided to do something other than paint the lettering.

I used a Dremel with a fine drum sander to get rid of the powdercoat then smoothed it out with 320 wet-n-dry. The Dremel with a polishing wheel and metal polish finished it off. Came out pretty good.

Attachments

• supercharger.jpg
    supercharger.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 613
355354_1_full.jpg

355354_3_full.jpg

355354_2_full.jpg

355354_4_full.jpg

I did was was stated in the above post. I have done everything that is aluminum on the car. I have done all the rims, my intercooler, my TB, MAF, Front dress pannel, SC Pulley. The pics do not show the innercooler, the TB, or the MAF. I'll try to get new pics up and you guys can take a look. Also, after i finish with white rouge on a cotton wheel....i use jewlers rouge...which it finer and makes it shine even more than that. Everthing looks like chrome and I love it.

Hey Fastsc92, Would you have a full pic of your car you can post? I want to see what the polished rims look like on a full shot of a blk sc. I polished my bikes frame, and I know it takes forever. I might just have to jump in and do the SC rims. They look good in the pic. Thanks Man!!!

I dont have a pic of my car with the polished rims just yet. I did about $3000 of mods this winter and I'm just finishing up on them now. Here is a pic that looks just like mine except that this Bird has air bags. Mine is lowered 1.5"....but not that low. It looks exactly the same besides that and the hood. I also polished my center caps on a lathe. I could polish yours also if you want...just pay for the shipping. As for the rims...they take soooo long. They are cast and very hard. Took my about 14 hours each from start to finish. Start by stripping the paint....then course emory paper. medium, and fine. Then wet sand 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 0000 steel wool, rubbing compound, tripoli rouge, white rouge, and jewlers rouge on a cotton wheels, then finish it off with some Blue magic polish. Looks the b@lls...just like chrome, and if you lower it....adds to the looks. I really only like the stock rims that are chromed/polished on black SC'....everything else just looks like hub-caps. here's that other pic i was refering to.

355354_5_full.jpg

This is my biggest problem to be resolved with polishing:

IS THERE ANY WAY TO COAT THE POLISHED PIECE AFTER POLISHING, so it remains shiny for a long long time?

Like spray paint clear coat, or clear engine enamel, or whatnot? I've tried, and failed, and maybe it's just my spraying technique, but maybe it's just not possible?

sil80

Last edited:
RICARDOA....

The best prices I have found on the polishing gear is Harbour Freight tools...I am carefull about what I buy from them since alot of their stuff is one time use garbage...Although i have found some really good deals there for polishing equip.

Brad

Back