89 XR7 goes dead trying to start

MTTod

Wierd problem... good battery, key on everything seems fine, turn to start I hear the starter hit then everything goes dead. No power anywhere. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and I'm back to square one, everything seems fine. I did try jumping it but no help.

The car has been sitting for about a year without being run but it was driven prior to that. I don't know Ford ignition/starter setups very well. Could it be the solenoid or a starter motor problem?

Hrmmm

I dunno if you are early or late model...If you are early model and it "Clicks" then does nothing, it could very well be the solinoid mounted to the fenderwall on the driverside behind the BATT. It is a "Round" part colored brown, or dark green in my exp. That is a pretty cheap part to replace and not a bad one to have as a known good spare if it is not the fixing link of your prob. If that is not it then I would go out on a limb and replace the starter assembly...I went through something similar, where it gave me symptoms of a bad BATT and I changed out the starter and "Poof" it was fixed...Goofey as heck.

Much Luck

Brad

sounds like either the starter is drawing too many amps, or maybe a bad connection or corroded cable. also how do you know the battery is good? just because all the lights come on and everything doesn't mean it's good, it takes far less power to run the other accessories and lights than the starter draws. You can easily bypass the relay solenoid (by the battery) . just disconnect the cable that goes down to the starter (at the relay solenoid) and connect it to the other large post, that the positive battery cable connects to....if the relay solenoid is the problem then you are now by passing that part. If that's not it i would have the battery load tested first, and if the battery is good , remove the starter and have it tested. Most auto parts stores will test this stuff for you. (check all battery cable connections too by the way)

Clean the battery posts and clamps

with steel wool :D Then make sure they are tight, but not overly tight. Then check all connections at the relay, the starter, and the ground straps. But, most likely, you have oxidation on the inside of the clamps.. you can't always tell by looking.

I'll give it a shot. Gotta be something along those lines.

BTW... my SC is a 1990 white/currant interior. :D

Well...

My money is on the starter...But yea obviously you need to take a look at all the connections...

Like I said before with my Scenario...It acted exactly like a dead/weak battery...I replaced the BATT and it worked fine. Then one day shortly after, I would say within a week it did the same thing...Changed out the starter after ruling out bad connections and boom it has not failed since...Anyway, alotta times we get the exact same scenarios' with this car...This can be a real help in getting the thing back to normal asap...Hope you get your ride back soon...

Cheers

Brad

Back