About to purchase my first SC.....

Crusader

Hey everyone,

I'm about to go look at a 90' SC. Unfortunatly I have to go about an hour away to look at the car, so I can't have it taken to my mechanic to get it checked out.
I know little to nothing about engines, so I was wondering if someone coulde give me some information on what I should keep an eye out for.
Of course I'm mainly concerned about how it runs. I own a regular 90 V6 Thunderbird now so I'm used to how it feels. I was just planning on test driving the SC and watch for any wierd engine or tranny sounds.
However I have no idea what to look for under the hood.

Any little information or tips will be greatly appreciated. I have no one to take it to so I just have to make my own decision about it.
Thanks a bunch =)

well you'll love it.

Find out if and when the head gaskets were done! (this is a biggie, cuz they love to go)

there are a couple other things but the HG's are the biggest problem cuz if you can't do em yourself expect your car to be in the shop for a long time and it to cost a pretty penny.

Search through the forum for other posts on this subject.

Also look out for:

Motor Mounts
Harmonic Balancer

oh and check the wires for the plugs if they're factory, you'll want to change em.

I'm forgetting stuff so hopefully some other guys will chip-in, but do a search.

If the Head Gastkets need work what do you think a ballpark figure would be to get them fixed?

I'm willing to do some repairs on the car if needed, I just don't want to buy a bomb.

I just did my head gaskets for $325.00 Canadian, for the whole kit, and it wasn't very complex, pretty simple actually,(once you read the haynes manual a 100x's)lol!!!

I got a quote from a couple of Lovely Ford Dealerships(lol) for around $1500 Canuck Bucks!!!

My advice though, is if you do your head gaskets, you should go alittle further and do your timing chain and sprockets &gasket!
Just watch with your syncronizer assembly!!!

Hope I helped!!!

Back