OK, I am going to relocate the DIS on my 89SC!!!!

phils89sc

It is obvious that the location of the DIS on the 89-92 sc's is not exactly the best one. I am going to relocate it to a cooler area and use a fan cooled heatsink to keep it much cooler than the damn thing is now. I keep finding more and more design flaws in these cars you know? Let's see, we need to keep the DIS cool so it doesn't overheat so let's put it on an engine accessory bracket!! how stupid is that!!??

Anyway, I may develop something to help aleviate this issue, some kind of prefab wiring harness and heatsink kit. Give me some time to muster up some ideas and mounting locations/heat sink designs.

If anyone has any input, or ideas, that would be great.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Phil

check out the links i just posted

Phil,

I posted a link to advance auto parts, they have motorcraft DIS modules pretty cheap. I'm thinking about getting one, by the way did you fix the hesitation problem...?
Please let me know my '89 is doing the same thing.
Thanx.
Mark

I believe later models mounted the DIS over on the wheel well. Maybe someone has a picture that can show you how it was changed?

Here's a pic of where the 94-95 SC's located the DIS module. It's not exact, as this car never had DIS, but I installed it similarly.

12260002.jpg

-Rod

Such diferenences!!!!

I look at the pics of your engine compartment and it looks so much different than mine. wow . Did you relocate everything?

All those wires at your air filter, even your a/c compressor looks diff, power steering pulley, and is that your EGR on the front of your fuel rail? Even your thermostat housing is different!!!!

I was under the impression that all SC under the hood were basically the same, but I guess i'm wrong!!!

Could you please tell me, or anyone, whan you had your blower off, on the back of your wiring harness for your fuel injectors, in between were it bolts on to back of each head, do you have a wire clip(circular), that doesn't or does go anywhere? Please let me know, for mine isn't going anywhere right now, but is it supposed to(when i took it apart it wasn't anywhere, but it never hurts to ask)????

Take'er Easy!!!!

Mike,

It looks different because it's not an SC. It's a late model 3.8 split port Mustang engine installed into a base Thunderbird that came with a 3.8 NA single port engine.

BTW, Rod...I don't see the DIS module in that picture.

David

Last edited:
Yeah Mike, sorry for the confusion. I should have stated, that's my 94 Tbird LX with the 3.8L Splitport from a 2000 mustang. I've circled the DIS module in this picture (it's different from the 89-93 style DIS modules).

12260002edit.jpg

-Rod

Got something for you

Phil, a while back I posted my idea on keeping the dis cooler. I raised it up off the stock location by one inch so that the air could flow around it. I then took some heat #'s and found that it was 30 degrees cooler than the stoch location. This might be something to think about...It was simple to do and it cost about $2.00 to do it. All you need is four longer screws,a steel plate,and four tube spacers all of which you can get at any hardware store......Rich

Phil,
Just thought that I'd give you an update to my situation as well. I had replied to your other post about the miss. I've regreased the DIS and put in a new cam sensor but I am still having the miss problem as well. I think that I actually had 2 problems giving very similar symptoms. I am going to start testing my wires and double checking the gap on my spark plugs. I like the idea that pro street rich has for raising the DIS up, rather than relocating it. I'm thinking that I may be able to find some aluminum that I can "work" into a heat disapater as well. Maybe if it pans out, it can me made in significant #'s. My only question would be: Is the DIS grounded through it's contact with the accessory mounting bracket? I've already got some ideas forming in my mind. Let me know if you figure your problem out.

I too was thinking....

I saw his post about raising the DIS off the pad and putting in a spacer. Also, if the DIS needs to be grounded, you should be able to simply use a shielded ground strap between the block and accessory bracket. Also, what about adding a phenolic spacer to further dissipate heat? So many ideas, so little time.

An update on mine...

After my major hiccup last Friday, and I pulled off the battery terminals, cleaned those, I have had no problems, yet...

I will keep everyone updated on my progress and let's share some ideas on the DIS mods.

Thanks for all help!!

You all are good peoples!!

Phil

DIS Module

I'm currently trying to fix this 'missing/stumbling' problem as well so far my mechanic replaced the coil pack ( i didn't know any better at the time)... and you guessed it...it didn't help.
Since i've been a little more educated by this site and every one's input ( THANX ) i've regreased the DIS and cleaned the battery cables and the ground, but the problem is still there.
Tomorrow i'm going to pick up the Module i ordered from autozone and i'll post again with the results of that.

A suggestion about the DIS module mods, wouldn't the grease get in the way of a good ground...? unless it's grounded through the cable connections... just a thought.

Thanx again for every ones help
Mark

The Dis is grounded by one of the mounting bolts. Raising it up is a good idea. Use a computer chip heatsink, like one for a long Pentium2 chip, or buy some computer perf boards made of phenolic and stack them. Raising it, will require longer bolts.

A little more help here..

Maybe this will help some, I used a metal plate thatwas 1/16 thick and four tubes that were one inch each. By putting the steel plate between the dis and the spacers you do two things. First off the plate is going to reflect some of the engine heat that is coming up to it. The second one is by raising it up you let air flow around it to help cool it and yet it is still grounded because you still mount it thru the same four holes as before... You keep the ground intack and you let more air cool it. The bonus is you don't get all that heat from the engine,and the plate will also block off some of the heat that will rise up from the engine as well. You must remember to STILL use the heat sink grease that is there. This is something that you can get at Radio shack and it is not too $$$ either. I hope this helps to clear up this some....Rich

Back