mass produced heads?

trwnum2

i just read another post somewhere where the topic of a mass produced head for the SC came up; i have a few questions that maybe some of the experts around here can answer-

is there a really big difference between the heads of a 3.8SC and the n/A 3.8?

if not there might be a large enough market for one of the big manufacturers, like edelbrock, to make heads for the car

also if the only major difference is the coolant passages then would it be possible to cast a universal head and cnc the needed passages once the base head is done?

i dont really know about internals on engines so i'm just posting this to see some other responses on this

The major difference is the coolant ports. But the later 90's Mustang 3.8 shares the coolant passage design. I want to say 96+ are the same. The 89-95 NA Heads have 8 coolant ports around each cylinder (which is supposed to be why the NA's eat HG's), the SC and 96+ have 5. I'm not sure on performance differences. Check out www.supersixmotorsports.com for an article on the 3.8/4.2 heads and engine internals.

gaston

didn't a guy named Gaston from the mustang boards swap split port heads or something off of a mustang onto a supercoupe block? maybe someone else knows the details.

Jeff

I installed a complete splitport 3.8 into a 94 Tbird. What did you want to know about the splitport heads?

05180001.jpg

-Rod

Back