Fuel Pressure Test Under Load Questions?????

mikey

Could someone please give me some tips on how to do a Fuel Pressure Test Under Load.
I know that w/KOEO your pressure is 35 - 45psi
At Idle is 30-40 psi
Max is 65psi

But what should it be during drive and after 7psi and up, does it flucuate?
AS you can tell, I know nothing really about fuel pressure except what the Haynes Manual tells me!

Could I do this myself? I am really good w/ mechanics!
Any help would be great!!!:D

At 0" vac you should see right around 39.5 PSI and as you go into boost it should rise in a 1 to 1 ratio the further you go. So at 1 PSI boost you should be at 40.5 PSI at 2 PSI Boost you should be at 41.5 PSI and so forth.

Mikey - I don't know your reason for checking the pressure; for me it was detonation at WOT. So I hooked-up a fuel pressure gauge (with extension hose) to the valve on the fuel rail and slipped the hose thru the hood gap and tied it to one of the wiper blades. This way I could monitor it while driving. Mine bogged down around 52 psi before WOT. I simply changed the fuel filter and haven't had a problem since.
Hope that helps,
Jim.

Thanks Duffy and Jim, that really helps alot!!

See, i've gotten new filters, plugs, wires etc... and at WOT (over 7psi) I'm getting a noise, the weird thing is, when I take my belts off for the SC, the "noise" won't happen for the life of me. What does this mean? It's makin' me crazy!!!

Thanks for the help!

Mikey - I don't quite understand the reference to "7 psi" !!!!. But the noise could simply be the belt slipping (& you'd certainly loose boost like that) or the pulley bearings. First check your tensioner position and consider (depending upon whether you have an overdrive pulley on the SC) changing the tensioner pulley to the Cobra type which is slightly bigger and of course will have new bearings.
Jim.

Back