upgrades questions

rolltide

I have a couple quick questions. Just got myself a 95 5-speed SC. I have heard about upgraded MAF's and throttle bodies. What will that do, performance wise and how much $$ am Ilooking at. Also, pully upgrades? If I go to a larger pully do I have to upgrade my exhaust. Speaking of exhaust, what are some of my best upgrade options. Is true dual nice and feasible. How much $$. I want something that sounds nice but not without that annoying drone or rice-rocket sound. I want an "American Muscle" sound. The car already has an upgraded intake and magnecore wires. I am very excited. I have owned several auto SC's and had to rebuild the trannies on a couple of them and eventually sold them. Then, 2 days ago I found a 95 SC 5-speed in Oralndo, FL for $3500 with just 98K on it. Lets just say, I drove all night and bought the car the next morning. Ths will be my fun project. As bills and college allows, I will do some upgrades. I am also thinking about putting bigger brakes on it, is that possible. Thank you.

-Tony

EXHAUST, EXHAUST, EXHAUST

There are many options out there. I went to a local custom muffler shop for 300 bones......for cats back....2½Duals.....with Super Turbo Mufflers......very quiet!

Calvin

Last edited:
Calvin's got a good point.

The exhaust is one of the keys to releasing potential HP. Intake mod's won't have near as much effect if the exhaust is still corked up. I'm using the SCP catback with high flo cats and shorty headers. Throaty but no drone when cruising.

The other basics are increasing the size of the TB and MAF, with corresponding increases in injectors and fuel pump. A 5% OD SC pulley is another good place to invest.

Understanding you're going to school and money will be tight, I would suggest a couple of things. Before doing these mod's, install new HG's with ARP studs to replace the "stretchy" bolts. While the heads are off, some porting will also help if you're comfortable doing it yourself. Don't get too ambitious with the mod's until you're done school and have a good paying job. The more power you drag out of these engines, the higher the risk of breakage.

Finally, when you have the $$ there are a couple of different versions of 13" front brakes. I've got the SVT Cobra setup on mine.

If you want details of what I've done to mine, click on my "Member Page".

Lee

Last edited:
i would get a better resonator for exhaust keep stock mufflers
colder autolite or motorcraft plugs like awsf32 180 thermostat
k&n filter then maybe bigger maf 70mm cheap from used newer ford make the mods to it then 70 mm throttle then i would port sc outlet or get bigger top for sc heads porting exhaust ports helped mine alot i left intake ports alone and add ram air to air cleaner and remember pinging ruins head gakets so run 89 or 93 octane whatever it takes to keep from pinging its cheaper than fixing

Last edited:
question

Are tubo mufflers a good choice. Do they sound good. I had a set of flomasters 2 chamber series on my 94 LX T-bird that I hated because they droned around town and on the highway. Also, are the SCP high flow cats nice and recommended? I should keep the resonator correct? I am thinking of replacing the fuel pump soon, should I upgrade to a 190 pump? Thanks everyone.

-Tony

Back