Balancing pin on Harmonic Balancer?

syphon

So I'm in the process of replacing my harmonic balancer.

We've got my old one out, and in comparing it to the new one, we notice that there is a pin which is apparently supposed to balance it to the engine.

My question is this... how do we remove this pin? We grabbed a punch and pounded on it with a hammer, but it's not moving at all. Is it even necessary to remove this pin, or do I just put the new balancer in as is?

Here is a picture, you can see the little nub of the pin on the outer ring.

pin.jpg

beat harder and support the hole with a socket when reinstalling so the outer balancer ring doesnt slip off

The issue of the pins has been discussed at great length here, so a search would definitely be a good place to start. But basically, opinions were divided on whether or not the pins were there to balance the engine, or just for the balancer/pulley assembly. Personally I did not use the pins when I replaced the assembly. But my engine is rebuilt and the lower end is neutral balance, so it makes sense not to use the pins, since the new assembly from Ford is also neutral. I'm really not sure what the pins do on a stock engine. The Ford manuals say to transfer the pins when replacing the assembly, which would seem to imply that the pins are balancing the engine (?).

Anyway try soaking it with WD40 first, then use the hammer. It only goes out one way, so if it's not moving try it from the other side.

Back