Replaced balancer... odd ticking sound?

syphon

Hey everyone,

cinstral came up to my house tonight and we spent a good amount of time replacing my harmonic balancer.

Everyone went smoothly (with the exception of a couple trips to some hardware stores) but now when I start up my car, there's a steady ticking sound.

What we suspect it is... is that the fins on the back of the balancer are somehow knicking the crank sensor and causing the noise.

The engine isn't running rough or anything, but there's a fairly high pitched steady ticking coming from right behind the crank pulley (which isn't wobbling as best we can tell).

Like I said, tomorrow we're going to pull everything apart again and see if we can figure out what the deal is, but I was hoping someone here would have some suggestions for me. Any personal experiences? Any hunches?

You are supposed to have .030 clearance between the sensor (both sides ) and the vanes. If there is contact there you can wipe out the sensor. Another possible is contact between the plastic shroud and damper. (assuming to reinstalled it that is.)

We messed around with the plastic shroud, and we're pretty sure it's not that.

What our best guess at this point is the metal fins on the back of the balancer are tapping the crank sensor somehow.

Back