question about high temp paint

89SCK@t

The only reason I am asking about this, cause i happened to think about my 59 baja bug header...I noticed that after almost half a year after owning it, the header never changed to those funky color from the heat. The header had a chrome finish and I asked the guy I bought them from what he did, if anything, to them. He told me that he had put like a hi-temp paint inside of them to keep the header from lookin funny from the heat. He had the header for like 5-10 years before he sold them to me! Whenever he rebuilt the motor he used Acetone or some kinda paint remover to get the paint outta the header and put a new coat inside.

Now for the question...I have recently purchased a set of headers from SCPerformance, uncoated(I dont have the money for those luxury items..:) ) and I was wondering if I could do the same thing? I like to have a header, or headers, to look like steel, and they never lasted for more than 6 months before the were multi-colored towards the exhaust ports....Is this advisable? I just want to know...I dont think it would interfere with a 50hp motor too much, if at all, but I dont know about a 200hp/300tq motor...any help is appreciated..

thanks,

stephen

i think powder coating lasts fairly long on headers and its fairly cheap, I usually spray a thick dripping coat of header paint on

Stephen,

I noticed your sig...

I hate to break the news to you, but I think Dr. Fred is out in Colorado Springs, and you've got a long way to go before your car is gonna be 'badder' than his. That being said, I'd admire you for trying! :)

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the uncoated headers? Are they long tubes?

Thanks,

Sean

paid

I paid 760 for long tube uncoated headers, high-flow cats, intercooler resealing tape, and header installation stuff.....i paid about 540 for uncoated headers though, had to add the egr on them as well....

What is fred's email? phone? doesnt he work with cams? i need to talk to him!! :D anyway, still wondering if i can put the hi-temp paint on the inside of the headers.

stephen

Take a look at this stuff. I am going to do it to my Mustang headers after I modify them.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm

They say you can only coat the outside but you can also coat the inside with this stuff if you take it to a shop to cure it before you bolt them on. It has to cure at 750 degrees for an hour or you will just burn off the ceramic.

High temp paint will just burn and flake off after a short time.

Back