NEED MOTOR SOON

• Thread starter Distinguished Dat2k1
  • Start date
D

Distinguished Dat2k1

NEED MOTOR SOON

the engine in my car is getting worse and worse as the days go on and i'm not sure how much longer it will be driveable. Please, anyone with a spare engine for sale (preferrably one that needs no rebuild, but whatever) e-mail me at:

mmills97@cogeco.ca

I'm looking to make the purchase with 3-4 weeks

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Re: NEED MOTOR SOON

Mike, one option I looked at was using a 4.2L from a 97 up Ford F150 pickup. Price here for a salvage yard motor with 70-120,000 kms was $1700-$1200 and they wanted a core back but were negotiable on that point. The crank is cast steel instead of forged and the pistons are eutectic but that is the way a lot of guys are building stroker blown 5.0L motors. As long as it doesn't detonate this combo should hold together.

The rebuild shops are saying they see a few 4.2 motors come their way, almost all for headgaskets. Cranks go if too much coolant gets in the oil, but otherwise few problems.

This is about the same price as buying the rings, bearings, gaskets, and misc parts like motor mounts to do a good rebuild on your own motor (guess how I know?).

Steve Best

Re: NEED MOTOR SOON

thanx for the advice steve, i appreciate it, but i'd like to stick with the 3.8L SC engine to keep it as original as possible.

Re: Re: NEED MOTOR SOON

I can't think of anyone that has a good running 3.8 SC engine, let alone part with it if they did have one. Auto wrecker engines for these babies would me mighty scary, you have no idea what your getting and the last time I looked they ain't exactly giving these things away.
Maybe look into Wayne's core engine I think he has one left. Go see Tom Morana for a stock rebuild, I know he has nicely done stock SC heads sitting on his shelf for 150 each plus your old ones in return. Maybe he can do a block tear down and R&R what is needed using stock components and it may not be all that bad. Re-use all your other stuff that is currently on your engine.
Just a thought.

Back