Alarm, Keyless Code, Starting

Doug Franklin

My son is taking over my 91 5spd SC which I bought recently. The Alarm light flashes when the engine is off, so we disconect the battery or it runs it down. The keyless code sticker is gone from the trunk lid and the electronic boxes in the trunk wheel well. No owners manual and card with code. The car will not start unless the battery has been disconected overnight. If you run it awhile and shut off engine, the lights come on and everything works except the engine will not turn over, unless like I said the battery is disconected over night. Then it starts right up in the morning. We are not sure if we have a remote for it or not as I have so many of them.

How can I get a code?

How can I disconect the alarm or keyless system so the car will start everytime? I am not like most of you young ones, I hate car alarms and keypads. I just have a hard time believing it isn't something with the alarm system, rather than a starter relay, etc.

Any help would be apreciated!!!!

Doug Franklin

The alarm flashing after shutting the doors is normal. This means the alarm is ready to be activated. Once the doors are locked and shut, the alarm is on and will activate if the door is opened without using the key in the door or placing the key in the ingnition.

In the trunk, left side, remove a black pastic panel, behind it you will find the alarm module, which has two connectors in it. Remove one connector, if the car doesn't start, plug it back in and remove the other connector. I just did this yesterday because my alarm keep going off.

I have no info for you on the keyless entry or strange starting problem.

Alarm light always on when not running

OK, is it normal for the alarm light to start flashing as soon as the engine is turned off, key in ignition? It will flash foreever after you leave the car with door shut. Is that normal or should it stop after a certain amount of time if I don't lock the doors?

We also tried locking the doors and the alarm light stayed on without flashing, before we got out of the car. The alarm light stays on forever now without flashing, overnight. That isn't normal is it?

Any suggestions? I have all the books but just cannot figure this out. I would like to deactivate the keyless and the alarm feature. I hardly ever lock my cars.

Doug

No, the light should stop blinking around 10 seconds after you key off and close the door. So something is wrong that it keeps running.

I can't locate any pinpoint charts for the module. So your best bet is to just disable it like tripntx mentioned unless you want ot fix it. There is a tech note about water getting in there causing odd behavior. Inspect the area to see if it's wet. If so, the module may be damaged.

The flashing light means its ready to be armed.

Arming is accomplished by locking and closing the doors.

Once armed, the alarm light will remain lit until disarmed.

Disarming is accomplished by unlocking the doors with the key or inserting the key into the ignition.

The reason I know these answers is because my '90 model didn't come with an owners manual and I had simular questions that people answered for me.

THANKS!

Thanks for the help guys. I still don't like this alarm business. If my 95 had one I don't know it as there is no light business. My 95 has no remote and no options. Basically I can't keep the 91 car parked for long periods of time with a light on one way or the other, I guess. Oh well, I hate alarms, locks, shoe-string, bra-snaps, & all other things that hinder ones progress. Insurance is for stealing. Alarms are a nuisance, arrr. We will try disconecting.
Thanks,
Doug

Back