are my cats working?

virgs93sc

Does any one know a good way to tell if your cats are still good?, I thought I heard them rattling again (like as if they clumped up again and are rattling around inside the housing) but now that I took the exhaust down I cant seem to make them rattle, I did however fail emissions badly when I took my last test ( too much unburned gas in the exhaust). I do have a pretty modified engine, but I did pass 2 years ago when I first put on my current cats.

Some shops can "test" the convertors by taking a temp reading. They can use an infrared thermometer to make sure the cats are at a specific temp. I think this is usually usually above the temp of the rest of the exhaust.

the rattle you heard might have been the heat shield thats mounted to the cats. Check that out... mine did the same until I secured it tightly.

Andy 94SC said:
Some shops can "test" the convertors by taking a temp reading. They can use an infrared thermometer to make sure the cats are at a specific temp. I think this is usually usually above the temp of the rest of the exhaust.
Yup. Most muffler shops will do it for free. They of course would like your business if they find a weak one.

Back