Emissions test

mortamyr

Tech info: '94 SC with no mods.

I haven't been in this forum in a while, and the last time you guys were of great help. I'm hoping this time it will be the same.

I have failed the emissions test 6 times. My license was suppose to be suspended yesterday!

From the first time that the car failed the emissions test I took it to PepBoys were they told me that I needed what is basically a tune-up aside from changing the alternator and 02 sensors. They wanted to charge $1200 including labor!

I did the tune up myself but I let my neighbor change the 02 sensors since he's a mechanic. I told him about the emissions problem and he says that he fix the problem. He didn't want to tell me what he fix so I decided not to rely on him since the car failed the emissions once again afterwards and with worse readings.

The problem is with the HC (hydrocarbons) not burning up right. Has anyone else experienced or might be able to lead me on the right track. What else should I look out for or stuff like that. Thanks.

Best thing for you to do is tell us all the results of the emissions test. For example, what was the HC number and what is your states HC limit? Also, what was the NOX, CO, and CO2?

What did you do as far as a tune-up? Plugs+wires?

You could easily have replaced the O2 Sensors yourself. You NEED to get under the car and look and see that they really are new ones installed.

One other thing I highly recommend is that you pull codes.
If you don't have a code scanner, take your car to Autozone nd see if they will pull codes for you. Then look them up in Chiltons or Haynes, or post them here and we'll translate them for you.

Finally, its very possible you have a vaccuum leak, espeically around the intercooler and supercharger joints. Look carefully around to be sure that all vaccuum hoses are connected properly, then test the IC joints with propane or starter fluid with the car running and listen for changes in engine speed. When the idle changes, you've found your leak.

Also, the alternator has nothing to do with emissions. $1200 is highway robbery for that job. A reman alt is $150 and labor is about 2 hrs for a mediocre mechanic.. so at $50/hr, the whole thing should be around $250.

Also, if ANYONE removed your IC tubes (which they would have had to do if they replaced the alternator), then I can almost promise you you have a bad seal on the intercooler and THAT is what is causing your emission problem.
Hope this helps. :D

Back