New Melling High Volume Oilpump for us.

Andy 94SC

This has been advertised, however apparently is not quite available yet from Melling. It's nice to see some companies realizing we DO exist.

I'm having a hard time resizing this to be small enough to post. Let me know if you would like a bigger image e-mailed to you.

Attachments

• scoilpumpsmall.jpg
    scoilpumpsmall.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 844
Thanks andy...

It is good to see a good oil pump maiking itself available. I know when other guys would build up huge V-8's a bigger oil pan (with baffles to keep the oil from sloshing around during big acceleration/braking or handling) and a high volume (not to be confused with high pressure) oil pump would always be good for high HP levels, in that it allows the oil get to where it is needed fast and in larger volumes. It also improved reliability too.

It will be interesting to see if this pump is like the 94-95 pump (8 toothed gears) or is just the 89-93 pump for the SC which had only 7 teeth per gear. Lets hope the modeled the later model version. Again the M137 pump they had was specifically NOT for the SC application.

In the picture it appears to be 8 teeth (I think?). Where was this advertised? It's unusual to see any print ads referring specifically to the SC.

I called today and they told me to call back tomorrow to talk to a tech when the pump will be avail.

Any idea on the pricing? Will they consider a group buy? ;-) High likelyhood that I'll have to replace my oil pump due to contamination.

I called Melling about the M137HV Pump. It is NOT going to be made appareantly BUT they make a M246 pump which is a 8 toothed gear pump 1.258" in length with a larger "oil pocket" that can be used and is available NOW. My info comes from Cal in the Tech. Department. I specifically asked about its use on the SC and he said we are good to go. Also confirmed the M137 pump is NOT recommended. He could not provide pricing but said we could get that via any Melling Distributor/Seller.

Lovely, Someone finally advertises a product for us, and it seems to be a phantom.

By the way that ad came from a trade magazine that is sent out to autoparts stores, called "Counterman", April 2003 issue.

I'd rather shim the spring and run high pressure along with a pump rebuild kit(comes with new valve, spring,plug, gears etc)

To each his/her own but the name of the game is volume not pressure. Anything that increases that (volume) is a good thing in my book and I will buy.

its robs some power and might pump most of the oil up top which can leave low oil around hard manuevers, and is usually good for larger clearances, I would use it for sure on a race clearanced engine, not really needed on the street. I wonder though if 94/95s have less rod bearing problems from extra oil?:eek:

Red something today in the May Mustang and Fast Fords about how to gain horsepower from reducing the parasitic loss from the oil pump. Didn't buy the mag though. If anyone did and wants to advise, that would be cool.

My 2 cents

I corresponded with Paul Hauglie of Melling yesterday regarding the ad (sent him a copy of the pic above) and was told the following info:
Yes we will be offering this pump, however, the part number is still to be determined, as well as the release date.
I asked "Can you confirm that this piece will have an 8 tooth gear? My interest is in it being a replacement for the 94-95 SC pump which differed from the 89-93 style unit." and the reply was:
Yes this piece will have an 8 tooth gear for your application.
I will be contacting him again and inquiring about the part Duffy posted as well as any proposed differences between that unit and the 137HV. As soon as this is sorted out it will become a stocking item for BTM.

Paul

We are a Melling Mater W/D and the next time our Melling Rep comes in i will ask him about this, he is due here within the next couple of weeks

tidd

In all honesty, how much HP can a HV oilpump take over a standard one? For anyhting less than 5-10 HP i'd rather have some extra oil where you need it.

To me extra insurance against a blown engine is very worth a few ponies.

AsScLoWn said:
its robs some power and might pump most of the oil up top which can leave low oil around hard manuevers, and is usually good for larger clearances, I would use it for sure on a race clearanced engine, not really needed on the street. I wonder though if 94/95s have less rod bearing problems from extra oil?:eek:

The pumping the pan empty thing is an old wive's tale. Basically, folks used to throw in a hi-vo pump in an already wasted motor that had low oil pressure. This would get the pressure back up, so they'd go abuse the motor and it would blow. So of course it was the hi-vo pump and not the 150,000 miles on the motor that made it puke at 5000 rpm/120 mph.

That said, I run a hi-vo, hi-press. pump in my 350 Chevy circletrack motor. I have to run a stock appearing oil pan, so the total system capacity is 5 qts. +/- 8 oz. The only mod is trap doors in the pan to keep the oil from climbing up the back/sides of the pan on the track. Our races are 'only' 15 laps (about 9-10 miles) and it runs between 4000ish and 6500ish the entire time. Never pumped it dry.

I wouldn't worry about it... hi-vo is the way to go. The cooling of the bearings (longevity) will far offset the 5-10 hp it takes to spin.

If your oil level does go down there is a chance of the pump drawing air, before with a stock volume pump you still had a margin of safety

there is a limit to how high, high volume is, thats what i meant(if its a racing HV pump its not going to do anything for an off the shelf rebuild), like saying if a 10% OD SC pulley gives you a nice gain a 30% must do wonders.

A high volume pump might also create a little cyclone between the bottom of the pan and the pickup, so that clearance also has to be checked.

It all depends how much extra oil it pumps, I still would run higher pressure with stock clearances

ok im a little confused well not realy but...so since i have to replace my oil pump should i get a high volume, high pressure or just get a stock one?Its all stock for now but i plan on wrenching on it at some point.Its a newly rebuilt(i know should of done it when we had it apart,trying to save a few bucks :rolleyes: ) n/a hopfully one day if i get the money i'll put a cam and super charger and some other mods on it if i ever find that money tree:D

Last edited:
i know the 94/95 pump works fine, I personally use a stock 89-93 pump with rebuilt internals and a pair of extra washers behind the spring. Either way unless you are revving to high rpms continiously(over 6 grand or so), stick with a stock untouched pump.

high volume pumps are for large clearanced journals or blowers(engine oiled)/turbos etc. The extra oil keeps the cranks/rods etc away from the bearings(roughly larger than .0025").
Thats just my opinion:D :p

Back