Parts and more parts.. When does it end!? Sell it?

phils89sc

I have just about had it with my 89 SC. It seems like I am sinking much more money than I will ever get out of it. I am considering selling it and buying a Mustang (94-95 5.0) just because if something goes wrong, they are nowhere near as hard to work on as this car is.

I am asking for opinions on whether I should sell it or not. Like today for example, my brake light comes on and I pull over to check it out. The fluid level is low. Turns out my driver's side rear caliper is leaking like mad where the parking brake lever shaft goes into the caliper. So now I have to sink in another $200 (both calipers, the other side is bound to be right behind it to fail). What is it going to be tomorrow? I know, I should have a second vehicle that I can drive while I am always fixing my SC right? Something more dependable maybe?

Anyway, I have dumped alot of $$ in this baby. Here is my list:

Lincoln Mark VIII 11.5" brakes/spindles (front)
70mm MAF
Removed air silencer
New front upper control arms
New front sway bar end links
New front solid rubber engine mounts
New DIS module
New crank sensor
New Cam sensor
New Oxygen Sensors (Bosch)
New Harmonic Balancer (stock replacement)
Good used Radiator Fan
Good low mileage supercharger w/new 7968 snout seal
New EGR valve (but not active due to broken exhaust rider pipe)
New heater core
New headlight header panel
New Flowmaster cat-back exhaust
New hi-flow catalytic converters
Good used 92 style fuel tank
New timing gears/chain
New timing cover gaskets (changed when HB broke)
Good used 3.55 Ford gears for rear end.
New driver side half shaft (pass. still has fat shaft)
New Autolite DP plugs w/Bosch plug wires
New ECT, MAF, coolant temp gauge sender, IAC
New PCV

And more to come. I am having the stock resonator replace with a Flowmaster 70 series dual inlet (2.25"), single outlet (3", reduced to 2.5" for the Flowmaster cat-back). I am having 2.25" down-tubes made to go to the hi-flow 2.25" cats. From the cats is 2.25" to the Flowmaster 'Resonator'.

After I write this, I sit and start thinking about how much I have invested vs. what a PITA it is to work on. I am not sure what to do!!

What do you all think? Fix it or sell it??

Phil

Phil,

All I can say is that since you've already replaced that many parts, you might as well hang on to it. I know exactly how you feel, it seems like every time I start my '89 something else goes wrong. This summer my good friend and I are going to have to drop the transmission out and do the clutch, etc. I figure once you've done that much work to a car, and spent that much time on it, you might as well keep it and enjoy it as much as possible. This friend of mine used to have a '91. He dropped all kinds of money into that car. Once he finally got it all fixed up he decided to sell it. He wants that car back now, particularly since the parts on his 'new' car (not an SC) that are starting to need replacing are parts that he had already done on his old SC!

Just my thoughts on the issue. I know these cars can be a pain in the butt when they're sitting in your garage or driveway for a month, but once you are able to open it up on the road, to me it makes it all worth it.

Good luck in whatever you choose,

Matt

you gotta do what you gotta do - but it seems like you are getting over the hump of stuff that tends to wear out on most vehicles pushing 14 years old. the worst part about a sc is working on them for sure and mine is not my daily driver so at least when i get frustated with it, i can close the garage door, cool down and come back to it another day. i would hang in there - the best part of owning a sc is "everyone has a mustang" and more and more sc-s are getting parted out daily. when i hit the road with it - all is forgiven

you have put your blood, sweat, and tears into this car- it's still cheaper to keep it. The SC is a special car- nothing on the road runs like it when everything is tuned. I think it's reliable when you know you have replaced all the parts that tend to wear fast. I say keep it-

$100 a caliper :eek: I got new fron calipers yearrrrrs ago for about $20ea at Autozone... never mind I had to file them a bit to make them fit, but sounds sort of steep. I would think that you could get a rebuild kit for quite a bit less.
As far as continuing cost of ownership, I still put far less into the SC than if I were buying a new car. And with the knowledge from this board, I've been able to identify all the problems that a shop would scratch their heads over and do all the work myself and save a bundle. ;)

hang in there Phil

Hey Phil...like these guys have said these cars are old...and getting older...they aren't making any new ones...personally I looked for 8 months very carefully before I purchased my 90 SC...But i wouldn't have it any other way...I live in a rather small town here in central FL..campared to say...Orlando :rolleyes: ..and I've got the only one around...yea
I get tired of fixin all the PITA things but it way way makes up for it every time I cruise downtown and get the jealous stares from all the stangers, camaros, firebirds, and even vetts...they don't make these anymore and the good ones are gettin harder and harder to find...I finally got mine...don't let yours go.....you'll be happier in the end :D

Rick in FL:cool:

It seems like I am sinking much more money than I will ever get out of it.

Phil,

You and every other person who has modded/maintained their SC for a couple years are in the same boat. You should keep it if you enjoy the car and the people you meet in the varoius SC clubs. They are a lousy investment and don't hold their value any better than a Taurus, but I love mine and can't imagine ever selling it.

BTW, If it makes you feel any better I broke mine at the track Tuesday night (pulled two rocker studs out of the head) and the towing bill cost $177. It's a minor setback and Chris Wise and I will have it fixed and running again this Saturday. It's all part of owning an SC.

David

Last edited:
it don't

it never does ...I'm like the 4th owner of my 90 SC ..which I feel was babyed .... by the past 3 ...but driven daily ...high K's 210 .000 of them ..when I bought it ... @ 215,000k... it got new head gaskets &water pump ....220,000k o/d band left and hasn't been seen since ...223,000k .. both front rotors and brake pads ..they were new when I got it ..224,000k now...doing exhaust ...so I can get the tranny out ...and I expect to be doing alot more ..that's in less than a year ..... she's never stranded me ...but I'm not about to... take my tools ...out of the trunk and go for a long drive ..once the tranny replaced .... everybody has a different driving style ...and cars get used to a persons habits after a while or break...and cars have there own as well ...eg: somebody elses standard ..any car..most like to shift in protest ...I wish ..I had all those new parts ...I don't think about it in money terms ...things are going to break ...and the harder I drive...the faster or more they are going to... most of all ..I never think ..how much I've spent ...when I'm driving with that big grin on... :D ...having a parts car or two helps alot as well ....On the bright side ... you get a mechanical degree in enginearing ..working on your car at the same time ..figuring out how ford put it together..which you need ....to beable to tell the parts counter guy/gal ..what you need ...but for the fun of it ...I allways ask for the cougar xr7 part ..

I don't think these cars are that much of a PITA, especially compared to some of the newer cars these days. Seems like the newer the car, the more gadgets on the engine, and the less space in the engine compartment.

It doesn't really matter what car you have - cars aren't like an investment that pays off in money (unless maybe it's very rare and valuable). All cars are a bottomless money pit. The pay off is the fun you have driving it, the friends you make in the club, things you learn about working on the car, etc.

keep or sell

that's all cars. nasa should do a study of these monetary black holes. just buy a beat up motor, and start your rebuild now. keep replacing all the other stuff and drive it into the ground. you can build a motor over the next couple years. anymore, you buy a car like you buy a house. buy one you like and just keep rebuilding it. eventually you will have a new car again. i had a n/a cougar i was going to supercharge, but after a few grand, i sold the car at one hell of a loss (10k in it, but it went for like 2k) and bought a sc. now, i'll be buried in this car.

i'm right there with you phil. My '94 sc is def a money pit. I've fixed nearly everything on it so far. And still have the upper control arms and shocks to do. But even after all the hours towing and fixing and scratching my head I still LOVE my car. I don't want to sell it, but may be forced to. I'm going back to college and need a reliable car. you're all gonna hate me, but i may be forced to buy a Honda, or even more dreadfull, a Hyundai. :( my only hope is to convince someone to let me store it for the next 4 years. wish me luck.

phils89sc said:
I have just about had it with my 89 SC. It seems like I am sinking much more money than I will ever get out of it. I am considering selling it and buying a Mustang (94-95 5.0) just because if something goes wrong, they are nowhere near as hard to work on as this car is.

I am asking for opinions on whether I should sell it or not. Like today for example, my brake light comes on and I pull over to check it out. The fluid level is low. Turns out my driver's side rear caliper is leaking like mad where the parking brake lever shaft goes into the caliper. So now I have to sink in another $200 (both calipers, the other side is bound to be right behind it to fail). What is it going to be tomorrow? I know, I should have a second vehicle that I can drive while I am always fixing my SC right? Something more dependable maybe?

70mm MAF
Removed air silencer
New DIS module
New crank sensor
New Cam sensor
Good used Radiator Fan
New heater core
New timing gears/chain
New PCV

And more to come. I am having the stock resonator replace with a Flowmaster 70 series dual inlet (2.25"), single outlet (3", reduced to 2.5" for the Flowmaster cat-back). I am having 2.25" down-tubes made to go to the hi-flow 2.25" cats. From the cats is 2.25" to the Flowmaster 'Resonator'.

After I write this, I sit and start thinking about how much I have invested vs. what a PITA it is to work on. I am not sure what to do!!

Phil
phil.give me some hope.as a 1988 primo convertible mustang owner i currently am restoring an sc i bought to help a friend who was moving out of state.your scaring me and i hope the same problems dont arise on me.however the sc is very difficult to work on.(pulling engine is a real task)mustang much more user friendly and faster to boot.looks much better too!!oh, and used parts galore!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
phils89sc said:

70mm MAF
Removed air silencer
New DIS module
New crank sensor
New Cam sensor
Good used Radiator Fan
New heater core
New timing gears/chain
New PCV

Phil

I have a 90SC 5spd. and I love it. I couldn't picture myself driving anything else. Right now it's sitting in my garage waitting for me to get the money to buy more parts and your right this car has created a black hole in my wallet :( but it's worth it. When it broke everyone told me to junk it and move on. I said forget it I'm Keeping it!! Because before it broke I remember getting on open highway and put the pedal to the floor and soaring. :D I looked for a car to replace it (mostly because it was my only mode of transportaion) but it's just not the same. I did end up buying a car just to get here to there but my SC is my legacy. It will be the car that one day you'll only read about and once in great while see but I'll own it. One day my kids will own it. It may need work right now but when I'm done you better believe I'll be at those gatherings. I guess what I'm trying to say is Keep the Faith!!! You'll Regret getting rid of it.

Haha you know it's kinda funny that I find this thread again. While searching for parking brake parts I came upon this really old thread and re-read my post. Back then I had no idea! I once again have my transmission sitting in my garage, and am many thousands of dollars further into this SC than last year when I posted. And yet I'm still going to hang on to it. SC people have a disease. :D

Back