255/45/17+1.5 drop+98 Cobra Rims=...

XxSlowpokexX

It equals tire rub!!!!...Apparently the offset of the late model stang wont allow it..In the rear there seems to be plenty of room to tuck the rims in more..Anmyway thought Id pass the word around..245/45/17 fit well

What brand tires do you have? I've been running that exact combo for four years now using Nitto 555's.

Last edited:
Damon Slowpoke Baumann said:
1.5 inch drop??....with 98 cobra rims with stang bolt pattern..Its kumhos..>maybe there cut different?

Since May 99......

H&R Springs, never actually measured the drop.... Nitto's are said to run a bit narrow.

SC5.jpg

What is the exact measurement on that rim including backspacing?

also, that IS the mustang pattern?

Thanks!

ponysc said:
What is the exact measurement on that rim including backspacing?

also, that IS the mustang pattern?

Thanks!

17x8, 5.72" BS. Mine came off my 98 Cobra, so yeah, they're 5 on a 4 1/2" bolt circle :D :D

So you do have the same identical setup I have..Perhaps my car is a tad lower..But I bet you the tires are much wider..Compared to the BFG's I had..taller and wider..Ill roll the rear lips and live with it.

I was running 18x9 cobra r's with 285/35-18 in the rear and 265/35-18 in the front, i had to really tuck and roll the rear quarter panels lips as i also had a 1.5 drop, they were almost rubbing but it looked bad a$$ and handled like a go-kart. I've got pictures if you guys wanna see.

Tires can vary quite wildly in actual dimensions for the same marked size, depending on manufacturer. I remember from my road-racing days with a 5.0 Mustang, at one point I had 4 different brands of 245-50-16 tires sitting in my garage ... they were all visibly different sizes, mostly in width, but a bit in diameter as well. General used to make a race compound version of their XP2000-Z tires (about 12 years ago), they were absolutely huge in the 245-50-16 size, would barely fit my 87 5.0 Mustang on 9" wheels, even with trimmed fender lips on the rear.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Where exactly are you rubbing with the 255's??

I've got the 2" Jamex drop up front with 245, and I don't rub the tires. Out back I have Airlift bags so the 275 DR's on 17x9 R's are not an issue. Are you rubbing inside on the spindle???

Last edited:
When I hit an akward dip in road it will hit the outer quarter lip..Barely..Occasionaly it will also hit a tad in the front..never had a problemwith teh 245/45/17 BFG;d I had before..Like I saidd these tires appear much larger..Car does however feel great otherwise..I still would think a Tbird offset correct rim would set the tire in a bit more the the 98 stang offset..Seems there is plenty of room on the inside

Back