PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel Bolt Question

Ripvanbl
05-22-2003, 01:28 AM
I just got the bolt (pictured) from Ford. Since I am converting from an auto, I don't have the original bolts to go off of. Does the stock flywheel bolt have the shoulder as this one does? The reason I ask is because the shoulder won't fit into my new McLeod Aluminum flywheel.

Any input is appriciated.

http://www.brandonlind.com/Images/Pics/five_speed_conversion/111-1105_IMG.JPG

http://www.brandonlind.com/Images/Pics/five_speed_conversion/111-1103_IMG.JPG

Ripvanbl
05-22-2003, 02:29 AM
bump

XR7 Dave
05-22-2003, 10:15 AM
That appears to be the right bolt. I believe Micah had the same problem with his. I did NOT have that problem with mine. I think Mcleod may have changed something over the years. Call Mcleod and tell them what the problem is. They should be aware of it, I thought the problem had been resolved. If you have a vernier caliper I can compare it to the stock flywheel, I have several.

Andy 94SC
05-22-2003, 12:27 PM
What is the diameter of the friction surface on that Mcleod?

I seem to remember mine overlapping that ring of holes that just touches the edge of yours....

Vernon
05-22-2003, 11:16 PM
That's strange, I've never had a problem with this either way. Order this bolt six times ( then you get the complimentry box) E2TZ-6379-A. I know they work because I just used a fresh set in mine.

Vernon

Ripvanbl
05-22-2003, 11:22 PM
Andy,
When I put the clutch up to the area you are talking about, it just matches, so whatever diameter the clutch is (sorry I'm not able to measure it right now).

Vernon,
Actually I used one of your other posts to originally order the bolts, but I also asked the guy what the application listing came up as, and he said Thunderbird SC. I have the correct bolts (not complimentary box for mine. I got a cheap bag, lol), so I think this is a McLeod problem. I tried calling them today, but the line was either busy, or they let it ring for 20 times without answer :rolleyes: (both the tech and main number).

I'll have to check all this out beginning of next week since I am gone for the holiday, but what do you guys think of just have a machine shop mill out the holes in the flywheel? It isn't much at all, in fact I could probably do it with a drill here at home. It is that close.

Vernon
05-22-2003, 11:49 PM
I'm not so sure I would just drill them out, they have to be really snug or they will break off soon. Do what you have to with Mc Leod, they should be helpful, if you can get them to ansewer the damn phone.

Vernon

Andy 94SC
05-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Yeah, if you drill like I do, it might snag, and leave a stress riser, not something you want on a flywheel, especially aluminum.

Mine was realy tight fitting on the crank, but the bolt holes were good.