whats an air silencer??should I remove mine??

Sweet90SC

I keep reading how peeps have removed their air silencer...what is it??? where is it??? and should I remove mine???....my 90SC is all stock( see my members page for pics) except for the FM Force II cat back exhaust and the B&M shift kit in the AOD...
Thanks,
Rick in FL :cool:

Your air silencer is the part underneath your air box that takes air in fro the outside of the car or i should say underneath. It is underneath your air box where your filter is. And as far as removing it, H*LL YEA!!! Open your air box and take the filter out, if i remember right underneather there, there ar 3 bolts. After you get them out i think it should be loose (been a while since i did this) but getting it i out is a li tricky, i remember i had to take the disconnect the bottom 3 or 4 bolts of the inner wheel well to muscle it out. Easy fix for lots of more air! Good luck bother...

Rick--
Make sure you put the filter back in it after your done......I believe Wantess forgot to say that. I would recommend buying a K/N panel filter and toss that stock paper one after you do this modification!

Calvin

I just found this Free HP, myself. Not a big diff(but noticable), but heh, it's free!!
I noticed a diff right away, even alittle more noise out the exhaust

took mine out last night, just the 3 screws at the bottom of the air box, and just push down on that thing until it pops out. then just remove a few screws from the wheel well and just yank on the thing till you get it outta there.

Mine wasnt that dirty when I pulled it out!

Also, if you put a K&N in to replace your old air filter, remember you have to file away at the plastic clips that hold the top of the airbox to the bottom.

The K&N is ever so slightly taller than a stock filter, so the box wont close properly unless you file it down.

syphon said:
Mine wasnt that dirty when I pulled it out!

Also, if you put a K&N in to replace your old air filter, remember you have to file away at the plastic clips that hold the top of the airbox to the bottom.

The K&N is ever so slightly taller than a stock filter, so the box wont close properly unless you file it down.

Weird, I didnt have to do that. I have the ZR Intake in there now.

Alex

well I would go for a K&N CONE filter for a few reasons - they have alittle less restriction on them over the panel filters, and they are cheaper. BUT - ONE IMPORTANT THING - MAKE SURE you either put the cone filter down the hole where the air silencer is (you should then get an AEM air bypass valve or be very careful as to water can get into your intake), or keep it up in the engine bay, but you would need a divider like THIS (cold air divider)

http://www.magnumpowers.com/intake.html

info on the intakes and air resistance from filters

ps I don't use magnum powers site intentionally there is just ALOT of usefull info there... I personally think the prices are a little steep but just my two cents

i didnt grind any tabs away with my k&n and i dont think youll have to worry about water what is it a swamp buggy ?

magnumpowers

what other companies offer the same performance products that MP offer, but at more reasonable prices?

Thanks,
Chris

or if your cheap, like me, make your own cool air divider for about $12 bux from any lowes or other hardware store.... i got 2 pieces of plexy glass, some elbows, and screws, and bought some drill bits for my friends drill and came up with this.... i have also added (not in pic) some speaker insulation to the open area around the corner where the 2 pieces meet.

intake.jpg

Tnanks Guys

Thanks Guys,
All the help is appreciated:D ..I've got my Mech friend taking it off for me since he has a lift and it's easier for him to get into the wheel well..I'm thinking about the cone filter I'm gonna take it the cool air divider keeps me from sucking hot engine air back through:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Rick in FL:cool:

Back