Machining questions (fab not engine related)

J57ltr

What is a 1-2-3 block used for?

What is a dividing head?

Are there any BASIC machining books out there?

Thanks

Jeff

I spent very little time in a machine shop. All I can remember is that a 1-2-3 block is often used a spacer/shim in maching set-ups. It is supposed to be exactly 1" x 2" x 3" and straight with perfect right angles.

We used to used themfor proping up parts so the surface to be milled would sit level. You put one under each end and you know they are both raised 1" exactly (or two or three.)

The others....not a clue.

...and a dividing head is a positioning device for use with a mill (a manual rotary table). It's kinda like a turntable for the piece you are working on. You can do bolt circles and the like easily because it will divide the workpiece into equal angles.

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Thanks, so why are there all them there holes in the 1-2-3 blocks. Please don’t tell me their lightning holes.

The threadded holes are there so you can actually bolt the block to the part or the table (with a "T" nut) and use the edge as a reference point for measuring the surfaces you are machining. You can order them with different sized holes to match existing bolt holes on the part. It helps when using a dial indicator in awkward spots.

Thanks for the info, I am trying to learn how to use our mill the Jeff way by error and error. Do you guys know of any basic books that might be helpful?

Jeff

I've only used an old bridgeport, before they were bought out.

My step dad used those blocks when he milled a set of aluminum heads for a massey pulling tractor. He used blocks to hold the head up off the table so that he didn't mill into the table, and then the others he bolted together on the sides (kind of looked like stairs) building them up to sit on top of the block of aluminum to wedge it down against the bottom blocks. Each block has jagged ends that fit together so that you can adjust it to sit at what ever height you need.

Chris

btw jeff, I can't think of any books that would be useful. It's very easy so don't make it complicated..

Virtical or horizontal?

what brand of mill?

What are you trying to machine?

Ya, those are called step blocks. I bought a clamp set that has various sizes of step blocks, clamps T nuts, threaded rods and nuts. I also bought a edge finder, and center finder. The center finder sucks so I’m going to get an indical (sp). I am going to buy a tool makers vise for some of the small parts I have to make and I already bought a 6X6” Wilton vise to start with. Vises aren’t cheap, most were over $300. When we bought the mill we got the stand and a set of 2 & 4 flute endmills. Anything else I just buy as I need it.

Jeff

It’s a geared head mill-drill, Rong Fu style. 19” X 8” travel. I make prototype parts for work and whatever I want to work on for myself (like the blower case).

Jeff

well...

I have a few blocks around here, most are aluminum but I can assure you that they are very high in quality and are absolutely precision made...

'bird

some of the blocks of aluminium are rather large...:p
verno0156.jpg

The best tool to find centers,edges,ect.Get a dial indicator &
holder that clamps to the spindle.

a indexable boring head,to cut bores circles,ect.Is nice to have

two flut cutters work for aluminum. four flut for steel .I like the
four flut for ferrous & non-ferrous metal.

A fly cutter for trueing large flat surfaces.or decking.

A good set of parallel bars.

hold down clamps

For a good place to buy do dads for fab work www.reidtool.com

I buy some of my tooling from www.jlindustrial.com
KBC 1-800-521-1740 You can get ahold of these two
for catalogs.

The magazine THE HOME SHOP MACHNIST may interrest you.
1-800-327-7377

Back