SC or Basic T-Bird?

N_Flight

Hi all, I just bought my '89 T-bird and would like to know how to find out for sure if it is a SC or a basic Tbird. Can anyone help me? I'd greatly appreciate it. I sure love this car. It's a beautiful lighter shade of blue, rides and handles like a dream, has 158k on it. I had the upper right ball joint replaced Monday morning cause we thought it was causing the horrible "popping" noise that seems to come from the right front wheel when we do a left turn and sometimes a right turn. As it turns out the ball joint was not the culprit, but it *definitely* needed changed. It was all but toast. Anyway, we are back to the drawing board at trying to find out what is causing the noise. It is quite loud as it can be heard very well over the a/c and the stereo with the windows up. I'll be posting this problem to the tech forum here shortyly.

Take care everyone and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure out if mine is a SC or not. I'm not even sure if it's a LX. Can't tell to quickly I'm new to T-birds can ya? LOLOL

N_Flight

I'm guessing that the serial number and the VIN number are the same since I'm looking at my vehicle registration and I see nothing called a serial number.

VIN # 1FAPP6045KH125439

N_Flight

Click here for carfax

Enter the VIN number and you'll get your answer. It isn't supposed to be an SC (or wasn't built as one by FORD). You can purchase a full report at this site too if that is something you are interested in.

I've got some bad news, it not a Super Coupe.

It's just got a 3.8 V6 ---- No super charger.

Might look in the classifieds if you really want one, might as well put, good money in a SC rather than LX.

Judging from all of the things that you listed wrong with it in the last post, you might want to consider selling this one and buying a SC, or a LX with a 5.0 in it.

Good Luck
Tim

38SCPROJECT said:
I've got some bad news, it not a Super Coupe.

It's just got a 3.8 V6 ---- No super charger.

Might look in the classifieds if you really want one, might as well put, good money in a SC rather than LX.

Judging from all of the things that you listed wrong with it in the last post, you might want to consider selling this one and buying a SC, or a LX with a 5.0 in it.

Good Luck
Tim

Thanks for the help Tim. I appreciate it. However, selling my T-bird is not an option. I just bought it last Sunday. I'd rather fix it. I don't have to have a SC........I have just been trying to find out exactly what model of T-bird I have so I can be sure that I'm taking care of it in the best way. I wasn't sure if some one might have converted it to an SC once they bought it and if they had then exactly how could I tell so , as I said before, I would know exactly how to take care of it.

See, I figure since I only had to pay $900 for my T-bird I have money left to fix the things that need taken care of.

Thanks Again,
N_Flight

38SCPROJECT said:
you might want to consider selling this one and buying a SC, or a LX with a 5.0 in it.

if he wants to go slow thoes are the tbird options, if he wants to go fast he should look into doing up a 12second NA bird like some of the 4.6L on the other board.

:D :D

N_Flight,
I wouldn't worry about it not being an SC or V8. If properly maintained it will last you for a long time. My '92 Base T-Bird has 225k miles on it and still runs great. The fact that you are in MS hopefully means you don't have the rust problems mine has though. About the only weak points on your car are the head gaskets and maybe the trans. Keep an eye on the head gaskets. Once fixed properly though they should last the life of the car. I am guessing that at your mileage they have probably been replaced already. Get the front end fixed up and enjoy it. You might also want to check out the 3.8 v-6 tech board on tccoa.com for some more detailed info on your car. Good luck!

N_Flight...

I see that you're in Mississippi. If you get a chance, drop by & visit the SCCoGC. There's a possibility of some kind of Thunderbird/Cougar meet in New Orleans this summer, be glad to see you and any others if it materializes.

Super Coupe Club of the Gulf Coast

By the way, are those stock wheels on your car? Are the center caps missing or do those wheels use any?

take care,

'bird

sorry

Well on your vin Code

the 8th position letter or number in in vin code is the key

your vin # 4 is the 8th position therefore it's unfortunately not a SC most SC have the vin code of "R"

case in point, my Prob...
89 Tbirds are a little tricky because they have a vin code 4 which was the basic model vin code C which was the LX model and in late OCT89 the 90 model SC was introduced with the VIN CODE 'R" i should know because technically my Tbird is an 89 but i have to find 90-91 parts because my vin code is "R"

WHOA!

DAMN I LOVE THIS PLACE:)

Last edited:
Back