rebuild procedes... exhaust port

S

sbest

rebuild procedes... exhaust port

Well, I took Bill and Keith's picts and flew with them. They confirmed the nasty hogging I gave a Taurus last year runs in line with at least one other die-grinder wielder. I did notice that Morana's were much more agressive with the intake than I was inclined to be, but this makes sense. The 3.8 seems to be heavily biased towards the exhaust area anyway. Especially when all the idiocincracies are cleaned up.

I took a nasty attack at my exhaust ports. Cleaned out the dogleg, cleaned out the shrouding at the guide post, gave it a short side radius and raised the roof from along sides of the guide post to the port exit, aiming to radius the roof of the port to meet the exhaust manifold squarely.

I forgot to take any "before" picts in all the excitement but will be sure to do so on the intakes and chambers. Not quite finished, have to radius the roof a bit more to blend in with the manifold. The port exit is really oversized so didn't open it up at all. This may be a good idea with headers but some calculations on the manifold port area show it doesn't make sense with it.

I used paper and plywood cutouts as templates to try to keep areas and shapes consistant. Someday I WILL gear up an old vacuum cleaner as a flowbench...

Drugery...
Also cleaning up the oilpan and timing chain cover. I hate putting anything back together dirty, but I also hate cleaning and polishing. Since so little of this engine is visible I'll probably just clean and paint the aluminum silver. The ribs in the oilpan are a PAIN.

Say, has anyone ever ported out their timing chain cover?
I noticed the water delivery ports necked down and had serious casting flash lines in them. In the interest of coolant delivery volume, I ported 'em! (Beware, wild man with die-grinder)

Also helped the young fella sand and paint a bike between roll changes...

Steve Best

Re: rebuild procedes... exhaust port

Steve,

Do they give you guys good money for scrap aluminum turnings/filings out there in Nova Scotia??? ;)

...Sounds like we have a man on a mission! Good luck, Steve.

Regards,

Sean

Re: rebuild procedes... exhaust port

I just hope I won't be sending the heads for scrap...

Steve

"Ever have a screw-up like this before?"
"HELL NO! How about you?"

Back