cam install

lowflying90

how much time does it take to install a different cam? can anyone give me a step by step run through? how hard would this be to do? pull the motor?

Thanks,
Jeff

You don't have to pull the motor but it is a lot of work. You will have to pull off valve covers, timing cover , all accessories and radiator. Once you get all that out you'll pull out pushrods and make sure they all go back in the same place when you put it back together, unless you need new ones. Slide cam out and repeat in reverse. Not a mind bending one but a lot of stuff to do.

ok

so what your saying is it would be the time to do it if i'm going to go with a set of ported and polished heads since i'll have all that stuff off anyways?

Jeff

Most of your work will be done if you have the heads off, the only thing you'll have to do then is pull the radiator and timing cover. Maybe an extra hour or two at most. I'd say do it if you have a lot of mods done to your car. If you have an auto and stock stall remember you can't go to big with cam but if you have a stick go for it.

5 speed

yes, i have a 5 speed. i have all the basic bolt on's done already. So I figure the next step should be ported heads, cam, and headers.

Jeff

Now all you have to do is find a GOOD shop to regrind your cam that knows roller cams and roots blower applications. When you have it reground make sure they ask you EVERYTHING about your car; weight, purpose, gears, engine specs... If they don't ask, go somewhere else. An important thing to know when they regrind it too is the lobe center, it will let you know what pushrods to buy for the regrind, they will have to be longer.

Back