Steve Best, new Member

S

sbest

Steve Best, new Member

Hello from Nova Scotia...

Just bought a black 94 5speed with a bad #6 piston.
Hauled the motor and have just rebuilt the shortblock.
Looking at porting and chamber mods while at it.
What works?
Also going to bore exhaust manifolds out to 2" and install new 2" headpipes, probably no cats.
Replacing mounts as precaution, old ones still good.

41 years old, bunch of kids, machinist, industrial mechanic, electrician, PLC, electronics tech for a local tire manufacturer. Concurrent interests are an SVO (turbo 2.3L)Mustang, 76 Bronco and a 4wd E350 diesel van. Nice to hear of a bunch of Canadians with the same interests.

Steve Best

Re: Steve Best, new Member

Hi Steve welcome to the club, wish you lived closer, but on the other hand a gentleman with your talents would be hounded all the time by guys like me and others in the club..;-))). Also am the resident old f*art amongst these young whipper snappers here in Toronto(I'm 49), but they're a great bunch of guys. Hell I miss my son because he lives in Ottawa but I think I inherited Bill and a few others along the way..lol.

Steve,

Welcome! It's always good to see new people joining the ranks.

Les, you da daddy! ;)

Cheers,

Sean

Welcome Steve. Again, too bad you are so far away. Do you see many other SCs out your way? Where did you buy the car, and how much did you pay? Do you know if the car originated in Nova Scotia or not?

Les may be the oldest of the bunch, but he can be the most fun, and he is very knowledgable. Plus, Les' car is one of the nicest loking cats I've ever seen!

No, not too many SCs out here.
No Cobras, very few of anything...
This is the woods. Heck, Lesser Slave Lake Alberta has more hot cars! <GRIN>

They closed down the only dragstrip years ago, although recently a rural airstrip has found a weekend of drags can pay the bills. Car shows bring the guys out of the woodwork, but not too many late model hot Fords.

Bought the car at a local Chevy dealership, it is a local one owner car, I haven't talked to him yet but I will. I have his vanity plate! Paid $6500 for it even with the dead cylinder <YIKES>, but it is nearly exactly what I wanted. 94 (best year for power and computer IMO) with the 5speed. I would have liked silver with grey interior but black with brown will do.

The car is well optioned out, no phone however!
It is in great shape, about 120,000kms I believe. The darn engine was still running on 6 when I first looked at it but the price was $8900. I felt the problems and detonation at full throttle but the dealer wouldn't budge on price. I verbally agreed to buy it for that price IF they fixed the problem.

Well, a week of test pilots and the piston was cooked. They planned to let it go for auction. I wanted it bad. We negotiated a price, still too high in my opinion, but I did want the car bad. Oh yeah, the darned dealer tacked a $150 "admin" charge on the bill! I was steamed, I yelled, I thumped my fist but they had me. Take it or leave it. So, I guess I paid $6650 for the (broken) car.

So far the bill has been $1350 for gaskets, bearings, rings, motor mounts and such. There will probably be a clutch and pressure plate in there too. Suggestions?

Interesting item: My Clevite77 bearings came with only one 0.010" under rear shell! Glad I checked.

Again, thanks for the porting picts. Answered my questions better than any response has. I am just about to get into this and your picts confirmed my hunches.

You will note in time that I tend to write too much.
Sorry about the book, Steve Best

Welcome Steve. The more SC guys the merrier.

Yes, it is a bit odd isn't it.
I still have the car, and three spares.
A lot has happened in the intervening years, kids grew up, divorce, promotions at work.

I haven't driven it in the past year or so due to a blown piston.
Thinking of getting her going again and thought I'd stop by...

Anything new in the world of Supercoupes in the past 10 years?

Steve

271_29548170802_7453_n.jpg

Steve, what is it with you & bad piston's?

Yeah, I don't know.
Haven't taken the engine apart, so I don't know if it is the same cylinder.
I had cleaned and swapped positions of the injectors, so interesting if it is the same piston.

I was giving the engine a high speed 1/2 throttle run, when I noticed a power loss and trail of smoke.
Motor is a 94, port matched, pulley'd and slightly lowered compression (valve unshrouding). Exhaust is opened manifolds, stock pipes and no cats.
It ran a lot of years with no problems.

I have a larger exhaust system with straighter duals into a 2x2.25"into3" single muffler. Top end gained but really lost off idle power, so took it off.

The pulley lowered torque peak rpm. Engine pulled strong 4000-5000 like a big block. Fuel mileage was excellent, better than turbo 2.3L.

If I was to build another motor I think I would go another direction, more compression, more revs, original pulley.
How does this jive with current thinking?

Nice turbo coupe,I have 3 of those(1 87 & 2 88's) as well as my super coupes & XR7's No svo mustangs though.I just finished installing motor in 93 after crank broke from bad harmonic balancer, so make sure you replace with good quality one even if orig looks good(cheap insurance)Good luck.

Nice turbo coupe,I have 3 of those(1 87 & 2 88's) as well as my super coupes & XR7's No svo mustangs though.I just finished installing motor in 93 after crank broke from bad harmonic balancer, so make sure you replace with good quality one even if orig looks good(cheap insurance)Good luck.

I had a good look at the balancer when I rebuilt the engine 10 years ago. Rubber was good but it is a flimsy design. Aftermarket steel balancers were quite pricy back then, I cannot remember but $400 to $600 rings a bell?
Hopefully prices have gone down?

Hey another guy with a serious Ford addiction, sounds like I am in good company!
Since the wife left, I have nothing stopping me now. Have a whole garage full of motorcycles.

There was a guy in Ontario rebuilding SC V6s, is he still in business?
I ran a stock cam and I believe that was a mistake. Too emissions and plugged exhaust oriented.
What are the thoughts on cams these days.

Are there any options to remove the Exhaust Gas Recirc sensor?
I'd think the computer would have to be tricked or reprogrammed?

Speaking of which, to get real performance out of my SC I had to cheat the Air Inlet Temp sensor with a resistor. Wasn't doing it when she blew the piston though. That was just steady highway running and not needed, but the resistor switch definitely gave a big power boost.
What are the thoughts on the AIT resistor these days?

Back