Rear End just died on me

esco90SC

Yeah I got out my bird from the shop yesterday. I had my motor mounts replaced, oil pan replaced, transmission mount replaced, and also my battery cables. Today on my trip to see my gal in Dallas, I heard an aweful sound start coming from the rear. Then I smelt burning so I pulled off the freeway when I turned into a convenience store, she started bucking on me and not wanting to move, then just died and rear wheels locked up. Got out and gave it a walk around after looking under the hood.
Found that the pumpkin was smoking. Got towed back 50 miles to Houston and shes resting at the shop. What is going to be required to get my baby on my street again??

esco

Sounds like you're going to need all new innards for your pumpkin. If the wheels are actually locked up, then you've got some serious physical damage in there. Plan to be replacing the ring and pinion gears, the differential, and all the seals and bearings. Or you could get a new or used pumpkin fully assembled.

All the new bearings and seals will set you back around 250 bucks. The ring and pinion 200 bucks or so. Then you have labor to remove and replace the diff as well as the set up labor. Also you will need new clutch packs to rebuild the carrier with. Not sure on cost of that as I have never bought them.

Cheaper route....buy one from a junkyard and hope you get a good one.

Then go through every fluid in the car and change it since it sure sounds like the rear end ran low on gear lube. Always a good practice on a used car you just bought.

Last edited:
Wll that is what happens when you beef up part of a drivetrain, the part you don't beef up gives out. High Torque and tall rear end gears = broken parts. Ford's design of some of the stuff on teh SC's is as bad as my Trans Am's 7.5" rear end. Can we say poop. The rear will take quite a beating until you put sticky tires on it, and them kaboom. :)

Back