16 Pics of the radiator

K

Kirk Bryan

16 Pics of the radiator

Thought I'd start a new post. I received the rad about an hour ago. It is not a two core rad, it is a one core at 1 3/8" thick. He (Scott at BS & B) claims that this core will out cool the 2 core that they were going to use due to fin contact and due to the front core being able to cool better than the rear core. There is some truth to this, but it does not excuse the fact that I did not get exactly what I asked for. Anytime you need to change the customers order, you need to call them first to get the go ahead. I received no such call.

I'm not trying to shoot the company down or say that I am not pleased with the look of the rad. I'm just letting people know the full story before they deal with them.

Anyhoo...here are the pics

radiator1.jpg

radiator2.jpg

radiator3.jpg

radiator4.jpg

radiator5.jpg

radiator6.jpg

radiator7.jpg

radiator8.jpg

radiator9.jpg

radiator10.jpg

radiator11.jpg

radiator12.jpg

radiator13.jpg

radiator14.jpg

radiator15.jpg

radiator16.jpg

Re: 16 Pics of the radiator

Hey Kirk

Were your neighbours looking at you kinda funny as you were out on the driveway snapping all sorts of poses with a RADIATOR ?

Workmanship looks a bit crude compared to a Griffin or BeCool rad, but the price reflects that I guess. If it does the job, that's what matters.

cheers
Ed N.

Thanks for posting those pics Kirk, muchly appreciate it.

I must admit though, I have seen a Griffen up close, and the qulaity of the Griffen is superior. But like Ed said, so is the price, so all in all you did well.

Did he say how much more capacity the rad is over stock?

Well originally I was told that the rad betters the Griffin, but I don't know if I believe that this rad has a 50% increase in capacity having smaller tanks and all. Oh well, now I'm stuck with deciding if I send it back and get them to do what I asked for (which will probably cost about what a Griffin costs and who knows if they will do it right after a complaint like that), or do I just lube up and take it.

Well I assume that nobody is interested in seeing it (the pictures are plenty), so...I'm going to install it tomorrow.

It sure doesn't have the finished look of a griffin, but it does look fine. As long as the welds and brackets are solid, it will work just fine. The brackets do look a little flimsy from the pics, but it's hard to tell from the pics too.

The cooling depends on the core, not the tanks. The intercooler bracket and mounting points on your 94 are slightly different than on the 89-93's. The early style rads with the brass tanks have the IC bracket welded to the brass tanks. They are not a separate bolt on like the rads with plastic tanks. Just something for others to keep in mind if you are thinking about buying one of these rads.

What is it about the rad that would make you send it back?

Maybe he means if they mis-informed him about the capacity increase over stock and that it would equal the 50% claimed by the Griffen?

I agree that the rad is likey far superior to stock regardless.

The only thing that would make me send it back is that I asked for a 2 core (1" each) rad. I know that the thicker the core; the better the cooling, but there is no way that a single 1 3/8" core cools better than 2 1" cores. And also, where do they get the nerve to modify my order without consulting with me first even if they think that their idea is better. For all they know, I was filling an or for a customer of my shop (not that I have one, but that's not the point). It's just the principle.

Are there any good coolants that I should put in there? Any that I shouldn't?

I see where you are coming from now.

I agree 100%. I can't believe you still paid and took it!

An order is an order, not "do whatever you think without asking"

Well, I didn't drive down to London to get it. If I did, then I might not have paid for it. But since I gave him my credit card number over the phone, I'm screwed. I know that I still could argue it, but they are not obligated to give me my money back. They however are obligated to give me exactly what I asked for. The problem is, after you complain too many times, you never know what your getting. It's like complaining at a restaurant one too many times about your order...that special sauce is really cream of "sum yung gie" :x .

.Kirk where do you live ? and how much did you pay for this? I dont remember what you said you paid for the rad.I'm going to take my rad over to my budy at Mississauga Rad on Mavis rd. and he said he could recore it with a top quality tripple core, not a cheap core.We never talked price but I will post when I have it done and maybe someone with a digital camera will be kind enough to come over and take a few pics of it so i can post.Before I had a chance to say anything he said to me that the rads in these supercharged cars dont have a big enough rad to cool them down in the first place so he seems to know somthing about them anyhow.I asked him about making me a double intercooler and he said we will talk about that when i bring in the rad.

BTW, how long was the total turn-around time, and when did you find out it was single 1 3/8" core, before or after you got it?

Greg,

The price was $575 + Tax + Shipping ($30). I live in Brampton. When you get yours back, email me or call me (905-789-7647) and I'll come over to snap some pics.

Bill,

The total turn-around time was 3 weeks. So that's not too bad considering I had to send them my rad first so they could make a pattern. I found out that it was a single core when I opened the box.

If I were you I would call them and talk to them you asked for a 2 core rad and they sent you a 1 core ya sure it might be 1 3/8 but a 2" 2 core rad would be better it will cool your car more. i know a lot about cars but no expert in any way but from what I know if you have A/C on your car this rad will not do the job you need it to do

just my thoughts

jason

Ok, new developments. The threaded hole on the neck, was not a standard fit, and it took me 2 hours of driving around to find a fit. Secondly (you'll love this) the hose fitting at the top of the rad is only 1 1/4" instead of 1 1/2". They just decided to change it for no reason. This just keeps getting better and better.

Blink Bird...take a look at my post at 1:18am. I would send it back and have them send me my old one, but then all the shipping that I have paid for will be $120 and I still need a rad. I'm just going to bite the bullet on this one and be a little more careful with whom I deal in the future. Live and learn.

Back