Newly rebuilt transmission!! - No reverse :(

91BLOWNSC

Alright, well just got my transmission rebuilt, and installed it myself tonight. Went and put the fluid in and all that good stuff. Everythings hooked up good. We put her in drive (with the wheels off the ground), and it takes a sec but it goes into 1st....then 2nd...then 3rd.....then Overdrive (which I never had before). Then we put it into reverse, and wait a sec. But nothing. Give the engine a little gas, and the rpms climb, and the tires spin ever so slightly then stop. I got a good deal with this trans because we did most of the labor ourselves. But it was a pain in the ***. And now Reverse does not work. Does anyone think they know what the problem is? And if it could be fixed from inside the car? Because I will be danged if I want to take this tranmission out again. :mad:

heres from the Ford shop manual

*low fluid
*manual linkage misadjusted
*low main control pressure in reverse-do control pressure test
*reverse clutch or stator support seals leak...
thats a start :D

start the car put the e-brake on and one foot on t e brake pedal, go thru each gear while holding for atleast 5 seconds or so in each and then go back into park, clean the dipstickstick and take a reading, should be between the two cold dots(i think these use dots) at the lowest

Last edited:
that's what you get for having an auto trans lol (just kidding)

I rebuilt my trans, but everything went fine (but I had a manual they are alot easier to rebuild I assume)

Positive on the fluid.

Added 12 full quarts to her and shes in the cross hatch area. Not to mention 1st - OD all move now. Reverse should. :mad: My dad has come to the conclusion it is this,
"*reverse clutch or stator support seals leak..." Which was one of the options listed above. He beleives this because when we put the car in reverse, it didn't move until he gave it a little gas, only the tires moved very slowly (not along with engine RPM) and then they gradually stopped even as he kept the rpms up. So he beleived it was trying to pressurize the reverse drum or what not, but couldn't because the seal was linking.

What exactly is a " *manual linkage misadjusted " and what can I do to correct it if THAT is my problem?

And my third question is, if it would be an internal seal, could that particular one be fixed by going through the bottom of the transmission (like where the valve body is?). Because I beleive that would save me the trouble from having to remove the entire transmission. Thanks all.

its saying the shifter and transmission detent might not be in the same spot (between gears). Loosen the nut and make sure both are in park(jiggle them) then re-tighten the nut

hmm..

Alright thanks, I will give that a shot. But wouldn't they all have to be outta whack? Meaning all would be screwed up, and not just one of them?

You might take the valve body off the tranny and look for sticking valves. It is alot easier to look for that before you take it down again. By the way, I rebuilt trannys, but I'm in Texas, I would do it for free if you could get it overhere:D
Later

I screwed that up once in a 4R70W which is a newer variant of the AOD.

Do you have manual engine braking in first? What I mean by that is this... IF you drive in manual first and take your foot off the gas, do you feel the transmission pulling the car back down to speed? If not, you missed the same thing I did, which is having either the reverse servo or Band incorrectly installed.

Brian

Back