No power to ac compressor

Jake

Went to have my ac charged and the compressor wouldn't kick on. I'm getting power up to the compressor and the motor bogs down like it's trying engage the clutch. Is there a relay I should look for. Or should I start somewhere else? Thanks.

Are you saying YOU tried to recharge the AC? You can bypass the low freon pressure switch by pulling the switch connector from the AC Reciever Dryer and jumpering the connector. Assuming the fuse is good the clutch should engage.

Yes I tried that and no I didn't recharge it the shop I took it to did. They were the ones trying to find out why I wasn't getting power to the compressor. I'm not good with electrical stuff I hope it's something easy.

Well...there is not much in the circuit. You have the "RUN" 15 amp fuse in the Primary Junction Box (the one in the passenger compartment). Then you have the A/C Heater Function Selector Switch that should be "hot" in all positions other than off. Then you have the solid state relay in the IRCM then the clutch coil. This info is based on the 89 model with manual AC since you did not say what you had.

Sorry, it's a 90 auto. Thanks that's the kinda info I was looking for. That will give me somewhere to start! The primary junction box is on the passenger side?? In the motor compartment? To get to the AC Heater Function Selector Switch do I need to remove the instrument panel? Or where is it located? Come to think of it I don't what the IRCM is. Is there a way to test the clutch coil? I know this is alot of questions but I live in florida and it's gettin mighty hot here!! Not to mentoin the car is black and the interior is black. Thanks for the help.

Primary Junction Bloack is the fuse panel in the passenger compartment below the dash.

The AC Heater Function Switch is the one on the AC panel you select AC Max, ACm Vent, etc etc. It comes out as part of the panel it is attached to using the same tools as are required to pull the radio. You can check for voltage at the clutch connector with the AC on MAX and the Low Pressure Switch bypassed. No voltage and you know your problem is elsewhere.

IRCM is the Intergrated Relay Control Module mounted forward of the Air Filter box.

Ok I found the primary contrlo box. They must've moved it under the drivers side in 90. Can you go into more detail about the low pressure switch bypass. Maybe some 2nd grade english for me. Thanks again

Pull the electrical connector from th4e switch located on the Reciver Dryer (that cylindrical object on the passenger side firewall the AC hoses are run to.)

Take a wire and short the connector you just removed. There is only two connectors in that plug.

Old thread but my 95 has no power at the compressor currently. Is it the same wiring on the older ones?

-Tim

Back