overheating??????????

ehonrc51

Ok.....so anyway I put a new 195 degree thermostat in the bird and now the temps seem to have evened out some but the car is still getting around 220 degrees before the fan comes on and I'am just a little worried about that..

My question is doesnt the low speed fan come on before it gets this hot and then the high speed comes on if the low speed fan cant keep up? I checked the temps with a temperature gun and it was the same everytime it would get around 220 to 225 degrees and the fan would come on and cool it down to about 205 to 210 fan would shut off and it would heat right back up again... I replaced the temperature sender and checked the gauge to ground just to make sure the gauge worked correctly and it does the car never goes past the halfway mark on the gauge but I'am still alittle concerned....................

Sounds pretty normal to me. The only thing to add is the ECT Sender used to turn on the fan is the one for the EEC on the intake manifold and has nothing to do with the one for the water temperature guage which is the one by the thermostat housing.

i have stock guage so i dont know the numbers but i run 180 thermostat runs cooler runs great it mostly runs barely off cold to 1/4 way up with stock rad 207k on it if i idle a lot and fan kicks on before half way up on guage

#14 wire

Cut The # 14 wire in the wire cluster up by the passenger headlight, it will make your fan run all time on low. That may cool things off some.

Check the specs here

This page on the SCCoA site has the specs for each model year. Look through it to find out what temps cause each fan to activate.

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/scspecs.php

I have the original stock t-stat in mine (1994 with 105k) and when doing "in town" driving, she runs around 195 on a cool day (below 80F ambient), 210-220 on a warm day. Remember, the cooling system is designed with the car in mind so air is flowing through the radiator. The fan is there for conditions when the air flow alone is insufficient.

I have seen some coolant additives on the market that promise to help lower your temp but have not ever used any of them nor do I know if there are any technical issues about use in our particular radiators.

Hope that helped.

OVER HEATING

I put up with it for two years then I cut the 14 wire and gutted out the themostact put a large washer in with 9/16 hole runs 130...140 all the time.....................FAST FREDDIE i ;) ;) :p

Normal

ehonrc51,

What you describe is normal and follows the descriptions in my 93 SC shop manual. The LOW speed fan comes on around 222F. If it can't cool the temp, then it kicks into the HIGH speed fan at about 228F or so. I have never seen my HIGH speed fan come on.

I agree that this design seems to allow the engine to get hotter than I like so I put my own toggle switch in line with wire #14. Now, I turn the LOW speed fan on when I want to, around 205F or so.

Jon

do the n/a engines run that hot too? honestly i dont remember what t-stat i put in it i think its a 195 that i had in the garage.i let it get to 195 in the day time and its been like in the 70's all week and i turned on the heater because i didnt like it getting that high it started creaping up alittle too befor i turn the heater on i had to replace a NEW water pump after not even an hour of driving it it froze up so i get kinda freaked at the temp now. Also what about a flex fan,what would that do for the cooling? and the n/a's didnt come with a electric fan did they?

Back