Reinstallation of Blower and IC Tubes...

S

SeanMatteson

Reinstallation of Blower and IC Tubes...

Hi guys!

Unfortunately, I'm here to ask once again for some help.

I'm in the process of reassembling everything after replacing blown HG's. I'm actually pretty close to being done, but over a month has elapsed since I started taking everything apart, and I'm starting to get a little foggy on how it all looked when assembled.

I'm at a point where I think the blower and intake plenum needs to be bolted back on (they are still together as an assembly with the TB). I have the inlet elbow bolted on already, and the lower IC tube is in position, but not bolted up. The rad and IC are not yet back in the car. The injectors and fuel rails are reinstalled.

My question is, can I bolt the blower back down, with the blower top still bolted on, and then deal with installing the upper IC, and sealing all IC connections sometime later when I have the rad and IC back in the car?

I found the radiator draincock had been snapped off when I went to drain the coolant after the HG's blew, and I'm having trouble replacing the draincock, so that's what is holding me up from putting the rad and IC back in the car right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Sean

Re: Reinstallation of Blower and IC Tubes...

Is the drain plug plastic or brass?

Greg,

The drain plug was brass... I have the brass tanks. The problem is that I was able to extract the broken plug, but the threaded hole that receives it in the rad tank is damaged, and the new plug I got from Ford (which I was assured is the right plug) is way too large to have threaded into that hole anyway. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps this rad has had some work done on it before from a rad shop, and maybe they installed a new bung and drain plug into the tank.

Do you know if the bung is meant to be unscrewed from the tank? My suspicion is that if I get this bung removed from the tank, the new Ford draincock will thread into the tank alone (it's a different style, where you can't remove the center of the draincock from the outer fitting).

Thanks for your help, Greg.

Best regards,

Sean

I always thought that they soldered the thing into the brass tanked rads Sean I could be wrong though. Hell for what they would charge drop it off at a rad shop with your new drain @#%$ and they'd probably do it for very little.

That's what I'm thinkin', Les.

It's just a matter of when I'll be able to drop the damned rad off to have it looked at. That course is keeping me really busy, and I usually don't get out until after most rad shops are closed for the day.

What a PITA this whole HG replacements has been... Certainly makes me see the merit of dropping the car off at a shop and paying the thousands of dollars they charge for HG replacement!

Have a good one, pal!

Cheers,

Sean

This is what I sent Sean in his email...

I have sealed the intercooler tubes twice before, and both times I used a
different approach. Both times were successful, which proves there is more
than one correct method. You have the benifit of having the return plenum
off before starting to put the plumbing back together, so that will benifit
you greatly. First, only use the rtv on the male ends of the couplings. It
will spread onto the larger female surfaces and you can clean it up with
those q-tips. This way, all the RTV gets spread outwards and away from the
insise of the tube because of the way the male ends are angles, whereas if
you spread it on the female ends, the excess would go into the tubes instead
of outward.

Anyway, first put the RTV (paper thin layer, but be generous with the
surface to cover it all for a wider seal) on the male end of the return
plenum, and proceed to attatch the lower intercooler tube and snug it in at
the coupling and bolt the lower i/c tube's main support, but do not yet
tighten the last bolt that holds it to the power steering pump bracket.
Next will go the intercooler, which will require you to have the rad in
(sorry). You will then have to add some RTV to the lower port of the i/c
itself and line it up at the bottom with the lower i/c tube. You can
slightly tighten but not fully tighten this connection, and still leave the
p/s steering pump bolt (to i/c tube) loose for tightening afterwards (still
accessable from under the car, or without upper i/c tube connected). Now
you can put the blower on and torque it down to spec (140 I think, check the
book). It will not need to be moved around or manipulated to allow for
further i/c tube install. Then do the i/c connection of the upper tube
first, and do the blower and collar nut last. After securing the upper i/c
tube to the i/c, and before screwing the collar nut on, you can fidget the
intercooler around so that it sits a proper 90 degrees with the upper i/c
tube bolted to its alternator bracket support. Once you gradually tighten
everything (little on the upper and i/c tubes at a time, alternating for
even seal) then you can do the collar nut and complete your install.

Les is right if and when you can get to a rad shop I dont think they will charge to much to modify the rad for ya, thats all i would do Sean.

Greg,

It's done. They only charged me $40, and they did more than just solder in a bung and install a new draincock. The rad looks like new again!

Thanks,

Sean

Guys,

Sebastien indicated early this week that he might be meeting Jamie (V6Sprout) at my place tonight and that he would give me a hand getting the rest of my car back together. I have heard from Jamie, but Sebastien seems to be out of communication.

I understand that Seb was having some problems with power outages last week, but does anyone know if he is back online yet? If one of you has Sebastien's home phone number, would you please be so kind as to eMail it to me so that I can try to contact him by phone?

If you can't tell, I'm just dying to get my damned car back together and running again!

Thanks,

Sean

I said I would be coming as well Sean I need to talk to Sebastian about a few things as well as give you a hand. I'll fire you off his home phone number he sent to me the other day.

Back