PDA

View Full Version : Double intercooler

BlkSCnKS
05-24-2003, 10:37 PM
I am curious as to how much horsepower can be expected from the double intercooler. I guess that isn't as important as how much more it cools the air. The reason I ask is I have a '95 SC that I just finished the exhaust on and I was thinking about doing a CAI and a 5% overdrive pulley. But I remember reading on here once that someone experienced detonation after putting a 5% pulley on their '95. I am also planning on doing a chip from Apten so I can use my 75mm MAF. Will I be ok or should I go ahead and try to find a double intercooler? Thanks, Brandon

AsScLoWn
05-24-2003, 11:29 PM
you cant dyno it really, you have to be doing about 60mph for it to work:D

forcefed95sc
05-25-2003, 12:28 AM
Is your 95 an auto or 5spd? I have a Jerry chip from my 95 auto I am wanting to sell. I have the reciept from Injet Tech with it. It is also reburnable if you add more mods later on.
$200 shipped takes it.
I am switching to a 5spd because the auto broke on me. And getting an eec tuner for it.
email me privately if interested.
[email protected]

BlkSCnKS
05-25-2003, 12:54 AM
I have a 5-speed '95. But if someone has a double intercooler I might be interested depending on what info this thread gives me. Thanks, Brandon

XxSlowpokexX
05-25-2003, 04:02 AM
the double IC will give you more flow but you still will have a cooling problem due to location and thickness

cudaz101
05-25-2003, 05:30 AM
I am liking the looks of that beer KEG shaped one that is watercooled...This is suppose to be very efficiant...I am waiting to see the gains and comparisons, it looks as though placement would be easier as apposed to the large FMIC's...

Brad

XxSlowpokexX
05-25-2003, 05:26 PM
All depends on how efficient the heat exchanger used is. I;m converting my spearco to a liquid to air with my new motor...Go to spearco webspace they have some reallllyy good air/;iquid IC's

1BADSC
05-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Why waste the money on a double, just get the front mount.

Jim Demmitt Jr
05-26-2003, 04:09 AM
They work great!
For a street & strip SC its just fine with a fan.
There is a big gain from going to single stock intercooler to a double intercooler.

Just go to a junk yard find an intercooler have the two welded together and get a fan to fit it I have ran this quick so far with one

If you got the money to spend than a Magnum Powers front mount is the best one to get ;)

1BADSC
05-26-2003, 07:50 AM
Why hasn't anyone just punched a big blower scoop up through the hood yet, and just bypass the intercooler all together.

BlkSCnKS
05-26-2003, 12:55 PM
Why not just get the Magnum Power FMIC? A little pricey for me right now. I can get a double intercooler and quite a few mods that will help me more then the FMIC for the price of the Magnum Powers intercooler. Or am I wrong? Right now I just finished the exhaust, am getting 3.27 gears, and I am going to order an Apten chip so I can run the 75mm ProM MAF I have. Next I was thinking 75mm throttle body, raised top, intercooler fan, and 5% overdrive pulley. Anymore thoughts? Thanks, Brandon

ThunderRoad
05-27-2003, 12:15 PM
I have one for sale 300.00 and 1 (one) old good one or 350.00 plus shipping without....unpainted wirewheeled you can buff it to a chome finish also has 24 gauge s.s. side panels just cut lip where intercooler seats................ fits right in and still has room for a 8 in elc fan on front......................call me at 1/215/537/4303/ days .......EST TIME OR 1/215 943/2007 nites or go to my site here I have on other private e- mail site .............FAST FREDDIE;) :rolleyes: :p

lowflying90
05-28-2003, 08:41 AM
http://members.tripod.com/c.lazzo/

Jeff

ThunderRoad
05-28-2003, 10:29 AM
mine are just the same with the welds smoothed out a little more............................1/215/537/4303................fast freddie.:D :D

tbird88
05-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by ThunderRoad I have one for sale 300.00 and 1 (one) old good one or 350.00 plus shipping without....unpainted wirewheeled you can buff it to a chome finish also has 24 gauge s.s. side panels just cut lip where intercooler seats................ fits right in and still has room for a 8 in elc fan on front......................call me at 1/215/537/4303/ days .......EST TIME OR 1/215 943/2007 nites or go to my site here I have on other private e- mail site
mine are just the same with the welds smoothed out a little more............................1/215/537/4303................fast freddie.:D :D

fast freddie, no offense meant but use that spell-check and post your cotton-pickin' webpage already! Ya got me curious what it looks like.

'bird

ps: still needs a little finishin' but here's a double I built.

http://www.datarecall.net/~tbird88/index/parts/alum/ic0786.jpg

ThunderRoad
05-28-2003, 02:26 PM
I HAVE looked at your stuff it is mighty fine...............in fact I have bought your ported headers from someone else who up graded to COOKS I believe...................you have done a good job....One question on the intercoolers????????????????? why weld the sides................I just cover them with 24 # s.s. it is much faster and you don,t have to worry about warpage........I do like your raised top................B.T.Y. ...................I not cutting into your work I JUST HAD SOME TIME ON MY HANDS.....................FAST FREDDIE................................. :D :D

BlkSCnKS
05-28-2003, 07:05 PM
So in everyone's opinion, is the double intercooler worth the money if I can't afford the FMIC? Or should I just keep the stock intercooler and continue putting aftermarket parts on until I can afford the FMIC? Also, what you different aluminum fabricators charge just to weld them together if I supplyed the cores, how much if I don't send any, and how much if I send one back when I get the double intercooler? My email address is [email protected] . Thanks, Brandon

1BADSC
05-28-2003, 09:46 PM
How about don't put other parts on until you get the FMIC.

lowflying90
05-28-2003, 09:59 PM
If it were me i'd go with the double intercooler, zr intake, asp underdrive pulleys, eec tuner, 73mm c&l maf, 70mm throttle body.

If you keep your eye open for used stuff, you should be able to get all of this stuff for the price or cheaper than a new magnum powers FMIC and this stuff should give you more horsepower than what I think the FMIC will.

Jeff

1BADSC
05-28-2003, 10:38 PM
However, the Fmic will be a good upgrade for any future mods to the car, allowing for more performance in the future. One thing to remember when building any car, is that you should always get the best from the start, you end up spending a lot more money if you don't. Like, getting ported manifolds cause its all you can afford at the time and then a few months down the road getting headers. Or getting an S-port only to wait for a few months and then get the Magnaport 2. Or going with a 75mm Throttle Body and then later getting an 85mm. Just go with the best part that you would plan to install. If you were going to put a 460 in a car would you first install a 302 to hold you over until you can afford the 460? I think not. You would wait to get the 460... Performance parts should not be any different.

lowflying90
05-28-2003, 11:10 PM
like I said, if you keep your eyes open for good deals on used parts, you'll be able to get what you paid for out of the performance parts if you do decide to go all out later on, so you aren't out of any money (maybe even make a little profit), and you have more fun in the mean time.

It's a no brainer for me what my decision would be.

:D

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Jeff

XxSlowpokexX
05-29-2003, 12:04 AM
It's easy to go fast with a double IC when you have n2o...Did I just say that>???

ThunderRoad
05-29-2003, 07:58 AM
As I said in my earlier post you supply the cores and pay shipping .................250.00 is the welding charge...............FAST FREDDIE..................1/215/537/4303 DAYS ........1/215/943/2007..............NITES:D :D