A quick couple questions about 95 and 95 SCs...

Frosty

A quick couple questions about 94 and 95 SCs...

Howdy. I'm looking to get ahold of an SC sometime in the near future, but I'm not exactly sure what I want yet.

I know the 5-speeds for 94 and 95 are ridiculously rare, so I've been considering just getting an auto and dropping a manual in it. I know there's a lot of information about the mechanical side of that, so I won't bother rehashing it here, but I wanted to know if that plastic piece of the center console that goes between the seats will have to be changed, or if it's identical between the automatic and manual versions of the car. I've tried checking out pictures, but it's really hard to tell.

Also, and this might sound a little weird, is it possible to put 89-93 front and rear bumpers on 94+ cars? The reason I ask is that I'm not too fond of the 94-95 bumper styling and it'd be great if the older ones just bolted right on and matched up. I'm going to guess that they don't, though, because the car looks to be shaped a lot different in 94 and 95 and it seems one would probably have to swap out more than just the bumpers.

Anyway, those are my questions. Thanks a lot :)

Last edited:
bumpers swap out..Why youd do it I dunno...And swapping out the auto for a stick....Ya like wheel hop?,,Get an earlier one and deal with the dash I say

Damon Slowpoke Baumann said:
bumpers swap out..Why youd do it I dunno...
Eh, I probably wouldn't. It was just idle curiosity.
And swapping out the auto for a stick....Ya like wheel hop?,,
Hehehe, not so much, but I like being in control of my car ;)
Get an earlier one and deal with the dash I say
I actually like the earlier interiors. I just like the newer ones more :)

But if finding an 89-93 Manual is easier than swapping trannies on a 94+ I'll just do that.

94-95 5spd's

Rare, production wise maybe...Get online and search on traderonline.com and you will find the late model 5spd's, or heck I saw two or three over in the car classifieds right here @ the sccoa...So what the hell are ya waitin around for, easy pickin's for the takin'...I say why buy a auto and swap in a 5spd when you can jus buy a damn 5spd...

Cheers Man, and welcome...

Brad

Regardless of year, finding one that is of lower mileage is key. Paying a little more for an early model that has been well cared for is going to be much more rewarding than getting a newer one that is cheaper or the same price. For example:$5000 91 SC 5spd with 25,000 miles. You don't want to make the major change from auto to 5spd. This is a big job and the results vary. There are plenty of SC's available for $1200-$2500, but by the time you fix/repair everything the car needs, $5000 starts to look like a bargain. Not to mention the time you spend NOT enjoying the car.

JMHO

Re: 94-95 5spd's

cudaz101 said:
I say why buy a auto and swap in a 5spd when you can jus buy a damn 5spd...
Really the only reason I'm interested is because it really opens up the number of cars I have to choose from. I found two later model 5-speeds on AutoTrader, for instance, both a little expensive, and one had some funny stuff done to it that I didn't like much, and the other was the wrong color :)

But I get what you guys are sayinng. It's better, in the long run, just to find what I want rather than try to create it myself.

switch

i have a friend who converted his 94 auto into a 5 speed. he used the 5spd tranny from his old supercharged cougar,, it is a big job, lots of little things to look for, but it's not too bad if you have the know how and all access tot he tools you'll need. but eventually, his came out pretty good. my advice though: hold out and you will eventually find that nice 5spd you are looking for, just takes time. good luck
-damon

I sold my White 89 5-speed to get my Blue 95 Auto, and I kick myself everyday, The old style looks much much better, the auto sucks, people think a lot more of the car when it is a 5 speed, and the 5 speed was much nicer to drive, and the overall looks and feel of the early model SC's are the best.

Back