stalling, please help

91thundercoupe

ok, so its the first real nice days here in alberta. bout 30 degrees celcius, hot for here. im on a little road trip drive a couple hours no problem. get to where im going and feel the need for a drive afer about a hauf hour. so i take the bird for a rip and about 5 mins into the drive she starts bucking like a sob. i pull it to the side and by this time she has stalled. i try to start her a couple times, it'll start for a second then the die no matter what i do. bout 20 mins later i come to pick her up and she starts fine runs for 20 mins and does the same. now im thinking the whole time fuel pump but well se what she does. leave her sit for a couple hours and its good for the rest of the night. Today i head home and about 1.5 hrs into the trip it does the same thing. made it home slowly but it needs to be fixed. everyone i talk to says fuel pump but you guys are the experts so i came to you. please help i want my bird back.

so the questions are

1. do you guys think fuel pump?

2. what the problem is with ford fuel pumps when it gets hot out, seems everyone i talk to has problems?

3. I dont like stock so what is a good one to go with?

thanks for all the help guys

Have you checked the engine codes?

I would be careful about making assumptions it is the fuel pump. That may be the case but it could be other things as well. I suggest purchasing a code reader and be sure there are no fault codes that would indicate another problem. You can pick one up at most autoparts stores for under USD 30.

Another popular problem is the DIS (Distributorless Ignition System) on these cars. I've read many posts about similar problems as yours where the DIS gets too hot and quits doing its job. Again, review the codes first so you're sure you head in the right direction.

Good luck.

MY vote would be that the dis is going bad.put some dyelectric grease under it
May help for a while,but you will need to replace it.

They get hot and stop working,That is why it starts up after you cool the motor down.

yea i would prob check for codes it could be fuel pump my fuel pump would act up after it got good and warm after an hour or 2 it would quit goin down the road or stall at stop signs then it would mostly fire right back up i had no codes and i got tired of the problem so i finally bought a fuel pump and that fixed it , crank sensor is next most like likely suspect then dis module

Last edited:
Sounds like a fuel pump to me. If your tank is close to empty in hot weather the fuel pump can't be cooled and will burn out.
Brought my '90 into many shops before they figured out the problem.

Sounds like...

Classic Crank sensor problem to me..The crank sensor seems to give quite an array of scenarios...I just had one go out on my 90SC a few months ago...One thing it may or may not do is give you an upshift light when you are cranking..."It should go out" If it stays lit then it is a dead ringer...

I would also add that a crank sensor is simpler than a fuel pump, costs less than a fuel pump or a DIS unit...When I ran codes on my SC with a bad crank sensor it would not give me a hard code for the crank sensor it kept on giving me these other BS codes, so I would clear them and the car would run fine...Then when it finally quit on me it gave me the Crank Sensor Code, and the upshift light scenario, but not the two weeks of problems before that...:rolleyes: POS...Made me a lil bit mad....

Oh yea..When my Fuel pump went out with only 12K miles on my 90SC the car would not even try to start...Nada nothin'...

Anyway, good luck on your fix...My money is on the CS

Brad

Back