Question for those Magnaport2 owners

stangbanger67

Was just wondering how much boost youre getting w/ what pulley/exhaust mods. I just purchased one (MP2) for my 89 XR7 and I'm not sure what pulley to go with. I just put fresh felpro head gaskets in and I don't want to pop 'em. I'm also planning on upgrading the exhaust and porting the manifolds.:cool:

I wouldn't do anything till you upgrade that exhaust if it's still stock. Definate formula for blowing headgaskets is MPII + stock exhaust = blown hg! :mad:

After you do the exhaust you may want to just stick with a 5% pulley, although it all depends on how daring you are...

These are new HG's. Properly put together you probably don't have a lot of worry as it will take some time to wear them down and pop them again. However, it will happen with a stock exhaust. So port the manifold, change the down tubes & resonator & throw a 10% on there. For now you should stick to stock. 5% isn't going to kill you at first, but not recommended.

Anthony

Little off Topic here.. but you are talking about getting the right head gaskets...

say I go into a Parts store.. What should I ask for to insure that I get the right gaskets... ?

Part Numbers.. an best place to buy?.

yes, I am going to do exhaust mods. READ THE POST. The question is for the guys who are running the MP2. I want to know what pulley/exhaust combo your running with it and how much boost it is producing;)

I have the MPII, MP plenum,MP 3/4 raised top ported.76mm MAF,75MM throttle body,
3in cold air,stock motor, stock ic system ends ported,stock headers ported,SCP exhaust 2 1/4 IN
down tubes with cats,into 3in with resinator to 2- 2 1/2 to mufflers.,and 10% OD blower pulley.

I had it to 15lbs boost and backed off .At about 11 to 12 lbs of boost it dyno at 250.7 RWHP.
at 2950 RPMs.

Thanks " randy and connie" thats exactly what I'm looking for. But, what do you mean you " backed it off" ?? Did you cange to a 5% ??

I backed off .Meaning I did not want to go over 15lb of boost.
I backed of the throttle.
Don't trust the stock head gaskets.

Last edited:
Stangbanger,

Pulley size and exhaust are not the only factors that will determine how much boost you will get. Things like MAF, TB, Inlet plenum, IC size and cam selection will all change the boost.

I've got a 10% overdriven jackshaft and a 2.84" dia. supercharger pulley for a total overdrive of 23% on my MP II.

I have Kooks medium length headers, 2.5" down tubes with high flow cats, two 2.5 pipes into a Magnaflow resonator out with one 3" pipe until after the gas tank then splits to two 2.5" pipes with a pair of Flowmaster mufflers.

I get about 17 pounds of boost at WOT. I would also suggest starting with a 5% pulley.

David

Back