thank you & help

R

ryan a harris

thank you & help

to every one on sunday, thanx for all the tips.
i've just got in form the shop after removing the air filter box thing in the wheel well. now for the real problem(s)

1st. the pully on the super charger is leaking, but that not bad.(les saw it-is it bad les?)

2nd. where to get oil for the super charger.

3rd. i'm pretty sure that the sound i get under heavy accl.
a loud squel form the front is the super charger(the boost gauge drops as soon as the sounds comes)

4th. my rear end is leaking. how much is it going run

5th. are ford plug wires o.k.(i know only double plugs from ford)

please any help on these would be great. as soon as these are done i can start on the fun things that cost money.

Re: thank you & help

1/ Any leak of the snout seal is bad, it will only get progressively worse, especially if you have an overdrive pulley or tend to get on the throttle a lot.

2/ You can buy the fluid from Ford, roughly $18 per bottle, but most go to GM and get the fluid they use in their Eaton applications. GTPs and Regals use the stuff, and it is only $5 per bottle.

3/ That sound is called belt slippage, happens to everyone. This is especially prominent with overdrive pulleys. You can either buy a larger idler pulley, or buy a belt that is an inch smaller. You belt is probably shredded as a result.

4/ You need all new seal in the rear end, good time to upgrade gears as well. Probably about $200 labour plus the gaskets and seals. You should also change the diff fluid and add friction modifier at the same time. Any shop will know this.

5/ Ford plug wires are excellent quality, known to be as good as most aftermarket manufacturers as well. Use 'em.

I think that sums it up, and without having to be at the meeting!

Good Luck.

you can do the seals in the rear end, you might have problems with the pinion seal but it is doubtful that this would be leaking. I would say 50 bucks if you do the work yourself.

I agree with Bill on all the other points.

Hi Ryan

Just to answer a couple of your questions, the Ford wires are excellent quality, and last time I looked a good deal at around $65.00 retail price. I usually can discount to people in the club around 15%, and should have set of those in stock at the dealership. For the belt slippage, you can get steel replacement tensioner pulleys that are more durable and slightly larger diameter than the stock ones, the same will work for all three tensioners. They are about $20.00 each. On the "Techincal Articles" page there is info on these. I usually have a set of those on hand as well. Give me a call or send a message if you need to be fixed up with that stuff. We should have the plugs and SC fluid in stock as well.

BTW Ford does not sell the SC snout seal separately, but Les knows the seal number to order them from an aftermarket supplier.

cheers
Ed Nicholson

Actually I am still sitting on one new one, it's the cheap one but so far seems to work quite nicely. You can have it Ryan for nada, they're only 3 bucks. One weekend we'll get together and if your pals at Speedy let us use a bay, we'll do the rent-a-tool thing from Canadian Tire and get their 3 jaw puller and do the seal. Perfect time to change your thermostat seeing as we'll have to pull off the housing to get at the blower pulley.

les that would great. when would you avalible, and what sort of time frame are we looking at? speedy would not be a problem for me to set up the hoist.also what is bill mean in up grading gears? from what to what.

Ryan,

Bill is talking about the pulleys on the belt tensioners. There are three on our SC's. Two are 3" in diameter from the factory, while the one on the blower belt is about 2 7/8" in diameter stock.

When you switch to a smaller diameter blower pulley (overdrive pulley), then you have to either switch to a shorter blower belt, or you can swap in one of the 3" pulleys in place of the 2 7/8" pulley to make up for the slack.

I recently purchased three new steel tensioner pulleys from CTC at around $21.79 each. They are 3" in diameter, and wide enough for the belts on our cars. I'm not 100% sure of the part number off hand, but if you call CTC they can give it to you.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sean

Actually Sean, although I was talking about those, that is not what he if refering to.

I said that changing the seals and fluid in the rear end is a good time to do gears, meaning, the rear end.

If your car is a 5-spd, then you have 2.73 gears, which honestly suck unless you like cruising at 300km/h. Gears are an inexpensive upgrade and will cause your engine to rev higher to achieve the same rate of speed, thus providing more power to the rear end faster, thus launching you harder and causing you to shift throught the gears faster to get up to speed.

I am not sure what the auto came with, 3.08s or 3.27s. Either way, autos go up to 3.55s with streetability, 3.73s for the track lovers.

Simple terms: the "pumpkin" looking thingy between your rear drive wheels, and the gear ratios within that casing that transfer power from the driveshaft to the rear end (wheels).

Bill,

Sorry. I overlooked that item in your list.

Sean

Ryan we'd need about 2 hours if nothing goes wrong(like a charger drive pulley that decides not to come off).

Maybe your diff is only leaking around the end cap, or is it showing up in the front or the sides around your axle seals?

Depending on what we're doing with Sean;s car this weekend and when I'm pretty much ok for sometime on Saturday. Let me know cellphone is 416-274-9837.

Back