Possible ABS Problem

BlckOnBlckBrd

After reading some back tech posts on the poor ABS system in the SC, I thought I should address a problem with my SC. The problem is, under hard acceleration / hard braking, the anti-lock light comes on. Sometimes the light stays on for a matter of seconds and shuts off, other times it stays until I shut the car off. But what is wierd, even when the light is on, my brakes work perfectly. Even the ABS system works (Tested in snow). All visual aspects of the brake system seem to be fine such as fluid, lines, etc.. So could anyone explain why my light comes on? TIA

So many possibilities

My light came on and would stay on regardless. I didn't notice any difference in the performance either. But, I learned the code reader for the EEC on my 94 also reads codes from the ABS computer. I discovered one of the eight valves in my ABS manifold was not working. Cost me about $400 to get fixed with aftermarket (Raybestos) manifold and non-dealership labor.

Some of the other guys will have some good suggestions but if the car will tell me what's wrong, I like to eliminate that first.

Hope it's an easy and inexpensive fix for you!

How do you mean you tested in snow?

In general, if the ABS light is on, the ABS system is malfunctioning and the computer should not respond by modulating brake pressures to prevent lockup.

Otherwise, if it did modulate the brake pressures, I'd be thinking maybe it's just a problem with the idicator light.

First I would top off the brake fluid level. As you accelerate the fluid is shoved back in the reservior and is picking up the low level "alarm" Reverse is true on the braking. Try this first before you go on the wild goose chance. If that does not clear the problem then report back.

Thanks everyone for the help. Looks like I'll have to get a code reader and check my fluid levels. If I find out anymore about it, I'll keep you all posted.

Back