brakes arent working?

Charkly

Hi-got a ?, my friend has a 91 cougar, and the power assist for the brakes isnt working-there is no difference in pedal feel with the car running, than without-any ideas, mike-thanks.

check your vac lines. Sometimes they rot out. if the one leading to ur booster is bad it would cause you to expirence a hard petal like ur describing. Take the hose off and start the car with ur thumb over it...wach to see if the line flattens out. If you have good vac there and the line is fine....it might be time for a new brake booster. I dont know what kinda work load this is but i assume its not fun (i got to fiddle with the booster on my 86 camaro a while back). Hopefully its a vac problem. If its a vac leak (a bad one) the car would prob idle like crap. Usually its not too difficult to replace the vac line and if it even seems remotely problematic (it looks ok but its dry and stiff) it might be a good idea to save urself time later and just replace it (i sell it at AZ its only like 50 cents a foot). Hopefully some of this will help, like i said ive never worked on abs, but i assume the booster works in a similar way on these cars as they did on my camaro.

hopefully some of this will save ur foot...and possibly ur front bumper.
=dz=

ps..if the ppl at GM are such gods...how come my camaro sucked so much a$$
-underpowered
-overheavy
-uncomfortable
-th700-r4 trans from hell!

car was cursed

The guy that bought it from me...
had wet sanded and primered the car,
took out the interior and had just put a performance built 700r4 in it.. He had to move the car out into the street to clean out his garage, (had no insurance coverage yet because it had just been restored to rolling under its own power)

Someone stole it with only a milkcrate for the drivers seat.

Never to be seen again
Rest in Pieces 86 IROC Camaro From hell
The boys down at Le-roys and jimbos chop shop have you now.

-=dz=-

lol

lol-that sux-i thought about the vacumn linhe, but the cougars and birds use a motrized brake system and was wondering if that could be bad-thanks-and as for you camaro, i dont buy anything that popular-it seems as those vehicles dont live up to their expectations. mike.

When my brake pedal "went hard" it turned out to be the brake pump relay on the firewall.
If the cougars system is like the SC's you might try replacing this. (About $20.00)

Your 91 Cougar has the Teves-II ABS which uses a hydraulic accumulator in conjunction with an electrically powered hydraulic pump to provide pressure for the power brakes.

There is no vaccuum assist in that year's model. It wasn't until 94 (or maybe 93) that the Teves-IV was used which did away with the 100% hydraulic setup and used a vaccuum operated brake booster.

Check the brake pump relay which is on the passenger side firewall under the EEC and ARC test ports. If the pump is working, you should hear it run when you turn the Key on. No need to start to car to verify this.. just key on to the run position and listen for a faint whine which drops off in pitch and then a faint clunk when it cuts out.

new info

Ok-i tested the relay, and it is good-when the key is turned on the motor makes noise, and if i take the relay out itdoesnt. then if i put it back in it resumes its noise-but still no power brakes-why is that? there is a leak at the back somewhere, but i dont htink this will make the power assist stop working-both abs and brake lights are on. any ideas? thanks a lot-mike-ps-its a 92 cougar, not a 91.

Back