brakes==need help

pete buck

i have a 90 anniversary bird,ever time i hit the brakes weather it be soft or hard the antilock and the red brake light flash on then go right off,before i start the car if i have the key on and hit the brakes the light flashes on in the same way,and you can hear the abs pump working,what do i need to fix,i have heard horror stories about the brakes on these cars,and i dont wont to be another one.any help would be great.

Sounds like possibly your Accumulator module has worn out. This is a device used to store hydraulic energy from the ABS pump as the pump is unable to respond rapidly enough in panic braking situations. So the Accumulator stores enough energy for up to 10 braking periods without the pump having to run.

But the accumulator is made of a steel chamber with a rubber bladder, or gasket seperating the hydraulic brake fluid from nitrogen gas. This is what stores the energy. But over time the rubber material breaks down allowing the nitrogen gas to escape, causing increased brake fluid capacity, but also excess work for the hydraulic pump.

If you haven't been there allready, check out the 35th aniversary t-bird registry and his copy of an article on trouble shooting the ABS system.

Here is a link:

http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/ABS.htm

Back